67 : 𝘕𝘰 𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘮

   "Nina!"

The diminutive figure cautiously approached Ninelie, his small frame barely reaching her waist. Swiftly, he enveloped her in a tender embrace before she could utter a single word. A sudden gust of wind swept through the grassy surroundings, causing his hood to cascade backward, unveiling the face hidden beneath.

Staring down at the unexpected visitor, Ninelie found herself both stunned and bewildered. Her arms lingered uncertainly in mid-air as she struggled to reconcile the current appearance of the demon child with the slightly deformed image she remembered from before.

   "Jian?" she questioned, her voice tinged with disbelief. "You're Jian, right? What brings you here?"

   "I'm sorry..." Jian whimpered against Ninelie's abdomen, his distress evident. 

The sound of his sobbing tugged at her heart, prompting her to gently push him away and kneel down to his level, "Jian, what's the matter?

Sniffles accompanied Jian's attempts to wipe away tears with his tiny hands. His voice trembled as he confessed, "I'm sorry, it was our fault, not yours."

   "What do you mean?" brushed her fingertips across Jian's cheeks, wiping away the tears that clung to his delicate skin.

The demon child, still grappling with shuddered breaths, hesitated before continuing, "Back then..."

[ Flashback - near the Paradise Hideout ]

The demon children had set up their makeshift camp near the hideout, nestled within the dense woods. As Ninelie advised them to stay away for a while, they reluctantly began their two-day journey back to the village. Exhausted and famished, their fatigue was evident after only a few hours of walking.

Surviving on a meager diet of berries and small wild animals, their bodies began to show signs of deterioration. Despite their demonic nature, their religious beliefs forbade them from feasting on the flesh of humans. "I'm starting to feel dizzy..." murmured Cecilia, her masked eyes revealing the strain of their journey.