NULL

"Humans, they are capable of doing anything in order to survive, to live. A long time ago, I met a human. That 'man,' he was the first ever human to have successfully finished his trial that I made for him, he was also the first one to have forged a Promise with me."

The girl's brows ascended in a display of intense curiosity, her voice laced with intrigue, 'The Promise–'

   "I'm sure you've heard about it, of course," The voice continued, "That man; Julius—was your ancestor. His valor earned him respect among comrades, yet beneath the surface, he harbored a profoundly self-centered nature."

   'How so?'

   "He valued his own existence above all else, including the lives of those who stood beside him. The Promise, the Pact he forged, it was tainted by ulterior motives. His choices have cast a long shadow, one that stretches across generations, including the world in which you now reside."

   'If that happened a long time ago, then does that mean that humans coexisted with demons from the beginning?' The girl asked.

   "Indeed, humans preceded the emergence of my own people by several years. Their existence predates ours."

   'And what happened after that? Why do demons feast on humans, when they—'

   "Demons take on any form in accordance to what they take in. Homo sapiens, which are known for their remarkable intelligence, became the holy grail for demons. A lot of people have been eaten up, leading their race to cause an uprising against my people. After countless of battles and bloodshed, the humans grew tired, and made a peace treaty with the demons. What came after that was"

   'The Promise, that man forged it with you.' The girl cut in.

   "Precisely. And now—"

   "You must override that Promise."