56 : 𝘙𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪

[ Previously in Lambda, 20XX ]

Peter lounged comfortably in his seat, studying the intricate dance of Ninelie's fingers beneath the table. The air hung heavy with anticipation as he leafed through the extensive reports meticulously attached to the clipboard, a smirk playing on his lips at each revelation.

Occasionally, a soft chuckle escaped him, adding a layer of eerie satisfaction to the atmosphere. Placing the clipboard on the unforgiving, cold metal table, Peter directed a beam of pride toward Ninelie, confident in her performance. 

   "I knew you wouldn't let me down," he declared with an air of certainty, the words resonating in the clinical room, "It won't be long before I take you with me, so please bear with all of the tests until then."

Ninelie's fidgeting ceased abruptly as her gaze met Peter's. Her mind raced with questions, and she couldn't help but voice them, "Where are you going to take me?"

   "To the Human World, as I've mentioned before," Peter replied, his tone carrying an air of assurance.

Ninelie's ears perked up at his words, curiosity mingled with apprehension, "Why?" she questioned, seeking answers in the mysterious plans he harbored.

Peter leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest, a thoughtful expression on his face, "Well, I'd like to tell the world about you."

   "But, why?" Ninelie pressed further, her eyes reflecting a mixture of confusion and curiosity.

   "Because – you're a special case," Peter began, his voice a low murmur, "A very special case indeed." His eyes bore into hers, as if searching for a reaction. "Not only can you tolerate a majority of lethal poisons, but you're also an important piece of evidence. Evidence that children with specific upbringings can result in an extremely intelligent child. Almost abnormally intelligent, but people don't care about that nowadays. Human Evolution is magnificent, indeed. I wish it didn't take as many as a thousand experiments to reach this point, though. "

Ninelie shot him a scathing glance, a mix of disbelief and disdain evident in her eyes. The revelation of the preceding experiments conducted on countless innocent children before her left her in sheer horror. The staggering number of forty-one thousand one hundred seventy-six young lives lost to these ruthless experiments weighed heavily on her conscience.