70 : 𝘛𝘰 𝘓𝘦𝘵 𝘐𝘵 𝘌𝘯𝘥

[ Present ]

Ninelie's gaze drifted down to the bell, its chime echoing through the room as she found herself immersed in a wave of nostalgic memories. Vague recollections of her younger self, yearning for a future filled with the warmth of her mother and brother, flooded her mind. The memories of carefree days spent with the other children in the quaint village of Glory Bell played like a distant melody.

As if drawn by the weight of her thoughts, Ninelie's attention shifted to Ray, the one who unexpectedly stumbled upon her cherished bell. A sense of gratitude welled within her, and she couldn't help but marvel at the twists of fate. "I'm glad that Ray was the one who found it." she mused, a mixture of relief and appreciation coloring her words.

 Ninelie gently reached for one end of Ray's blanket, carefully covering his exposed hand. The room seemed to hold its breath as she took measured steps backward, each movement calculated and deliberate. Turning away from Ray, she walked towards the door with a newfound resolve, ready to set in motion the culmination of a long-standing promise. The anticipation hung in the air, thick with the weight of memories and the unspoken significance of the moment.

⊱ ────── ❝ 𝒂𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒏 ❞ ────── ⊰

In the heart of Grace Field, nestled amidst secret passages and hidden doors, a small island adorned with golden waters sat in the center of a serene pond. To access this hidden cavern, one had to traverse through the labyrinthine corridors until reaching a grand gate crowned with roots embracing the pillars on either side. This gate guarded the entrance to the island, where Ninelie, Sonju, Mujika, and Jian found themselves standing.

As Ninelie approached the gate, her eyes were drawn to intricate handprints engraved into the symbols on its surface. Intrigued, she extended her hands towards the prints, only to be interrupted by Jian, who dashed across the bridge to embrace her from behind.

   "Nina!" Jian held onto her as if resisting her departure, "Please don't leave!"

Ninelie looked down at the child solemnly as a wave of unrecognizable emotions washed over her, "I'm sorry Jian, but I have to."

   "Can't humans and demons coexist?" Jian questioned, lifting his head to meet Ninelie's gaze.

   "Jian," Ninelie gently pushed him back, her hands on his shoulders, "This world belongs to your kind. Humans don't belong here. I'm sure you understand."

   "...But –"

   "Are you afraid I might forget about you?" Ninelie extended her hand, delicately caressing the demon child's hair,  "Don't worry, Jian; I'm won't."

A solitary tear escaped Jian's mask, his mouth trembling as he spoke, "That's... not it. It's just that... After all this time, I finally got to meet you again, and now you're leaving."

"I'm sorry, Jian," Ninelie attempted to force a smile, tears welling up in her eyes, "I'm really sorry," she whispered softly.

Jian's face wore a melancholic expression, his lips tightly pressed together to suppress uncontrollable sobs. He knew he couldn't persuade Ninelie to stay, yet he hoped against hope that she wouldn't leave – she was like family to him.

   "Just leave her alone, kid." Sonju intervened, approaching from behind with Mujika at his side, "It's pointless to try to persuade her to stay." Reassuringly, he placed his hand on top of Jian's head.

  "Ninelie," Mujika said with a sad smile, "I support whatever decision you make. Do what you believe is best for your family."

Ninelie nodded appreciatively, returning a smile to Mujika, "Thank you, Mujika."

   "And this better be the last time you act recklessly," Sonju interjected, drawing a light chuckle from Ninelie.

   "I can't promise you that."

   "Nina," Jian spoke up, giving her a determined gaze, "You have to take care, no matter what! I won't forgive you if you ever get sick or hurt."

Ninelie sweetly smiled at the demon child, "Yes, I will. Don't worry."

Swiveling on her heels, Ninelie meticulously unraveled the bandages that cloaked her hands, revealing the tender, blistered skin beneath. With deliberate intent, she pressed her aching palms onto the two handprints etched on the imposing gate—handprints perceptibly larger than her own. The enigma of the prints' origin lingered in the air; perhaps they belonged to a human who had once parleyed with her.

As her seared hands connected with the gate's imprints, it responded by yawning open, the hinges emitting a pronounced creak that reverberated through the confines of the petite cavern. A blinding radiance erupted from the now-opened gateway, bathing the cave in an overwhelming luminosity.

Reacting swiftly, Mujika seized Jian and shielded his eyes from the dazzling light. The brilliance proved too intense for their unprepared senses. Sonju, joining the protective front, approached Mujika, draping his cloak over them both, shielding them from the radiant onslaught while clamping his eyes shut.

Gradually, the intensity of the light diminished, allowing them to cautiously reopen their eyes. It took several minutes for their vision to acclimate to their surroundings after the near-blinding encounter.

When their eyes finally adjusted, there was no trace of Ninelie or the opened gate. The once-golden water encircling the small island atop which the gate stood had evaporated, leaving behind only desolate dust and dirt in the now-empty moat. The cave, once bathed in brilliance, now lay in near-darkness, illuminated only by the faint glow of fungi clinging to its walls.

Jian ventured towards the vacant space where the gate had stood, searching for any remnants of Ninelie or the portal.

   "...Is she really gone?" Jian voiced his concern, redirecting his gaze towards Mujika and Sonju, "Is it just her?"

   "No, ever single human should have crossed over as well." Mujika said. 

   "Let's go back up and see if they're still there." suggested Sonju.

Upon reaching the surface of the Grace Field farm, a disquieting emptiness enveloped them. Not a single soul was in sight. The once-bustling home of innocent children, blissfully asleep in their beds, and vigilant Sisters stationed near the Gate had all vanished without a trace.

The humans who had been in the Demon World have finally crossed over to the Human World.