twenty-two

season 14, episode 4 - ain't that a kick in the head

EVERYONE GATHERED INSIDE AMELIA'S ROOM to listen to Tom's surgical plan

EVERYONE GATHERED INSIDE AMELIA'S ROOM to listen to Tom's surgical plan. Everyone was hesitant knowing Allison wouldn't be in the operating room but the brunette had ensured everyone that Tom Koracick is good neurosurgeon. Once Amelia had told her she didn't want Allison doing the surgery, the Avery neurosurgeon made sure to research about Tom. He was very good at his job, he was a teacher, too and Derek had met him once and told Allison all about it, she trusted him to remove the tumor on Amelia.

Once Tom was done with his explanation, everyone had questions to which Tom was confident to answer. When he left the room, Amelia began talking about the plans if she were to die, Meredith would have to call her mom, Owen could grieve but he would move on with his life and April was made her power of attorney if she needed unplugging, which came to a surprise for everyone in the room.

Almost everyone has gathered inside the gallery to watch Tom's surgery on Amelia. In the middle of the surgery, Tom played some music as he worked on Amelia, signing along. Maggie who sat beside Meredith spoke up, "The beach boys seems like an odd choice. Like, inappropriate."

"No, Riggs leaving Megan—that's inappropriate." Meredith shook her head. Nathan Riggs left Grey Sloan without saying a word and it pissed Meredith off because the love of his life is alive and well inside the same hospital he worked at, and he left like it was nothing.

"I never liked Riggs in the first place and I'm an excellent judge of character." Alex said, looking down at the gallery causing Allison to snort.

"Says the one who had crazy ex-girlfriends." Allison retorted, remembering back in their residency when Alex fell for Ava, the crazy person who thought she was pregnant with his baby.

"My judgement has improved with age."

Tom stopped singing for a moment causing everyone to sit up in the chairs in worry. Allison's eyes flickered over to the camera in the room, which showed a closer look on the surgery. She sighed, "This is the crucial part. He has to cut the last vessel and sometimes it's a feeder to the—"

Allison was interrupted by the sound of Tom cutting a vessel causing Maggie to gasp, "What was that?"

"That was the vessel en passant." Allison informed them, "It looked like it was going into the meningioma, but in fact it was going straight through to the brain. He didn't have choice but it's okay."

"Is it?" Maggie asked.

"It's probably fine. It could be really bad but I'm sure it's fine."

***

Eleven hours later and Amelia hasn't woken up from her post-op nap, which led everyone to worry if something had gone wrong in surgery. Allison looked at her phone where she was doing a video call with Tom, "I'm saying you clipped the vessel."