thirty-nine

season 15, episode 9 - shelter from the storm
season 15, episode 10 - help, i'm alive

JACKSON AVERY FELT HIS WORLD SHIFT WHEN his wife mentioned his mother was the problem

JACKSON AVERY FELT HIS WORLD SHIFT WHEN his wife mentioned his mother was the problem. At first he thought Catherine had done something to upset Allison but he knew his wife would just talk to her mother-in-law if that were the case, but the tone and the seriousness on Allison's face made him assume it was something else. Something worse and he waited, waited for his wife to say something. He's been through a lot, a lot of pain, he lost his son and he almost lost his wife when a patient attacked her, he wasn't planning on losing his mother, not yet. The minute Allison told him, he stepped away from her, he didn't want her to comfort him, not yet anyway, he needed answers.

Allison watched her husband pace around the room, back and forth as the thoughts clouded his mind. She knew he was having a hard time processing the news. Jackson only had one parent throughout his life and to hear the news he just heard was hard, Allison knew it and she felt useless she couldn't comfort him right now.

"So, um, her spine, then?" Jackson finally asked, turning around to face his wife once again but he was still a couple feet away.

Allison nodded her head, "Chondrosarcoma. C5 to T1, extensive local invasion."

Jackson looked at her, shaking his head. "When did she tell you?"

"She didn't." Allison spoke up, shaking her head, taking one step forward so she can be close to her husband, "She doesn't want anyone to know yet and the moment I found out, I had to tell you. I couldn't keep a secret like this when it will affect you the most."

Jackson let her get closer to him, he let her hold his hand for comfort. He looked at his wife, shaking his head, "What do I do, I feel—"

"Helpless." Allison finished off for him, he nodded his head as if she understood and in some ways she did.

"I've never felt less like a doctor in my life."

Allison brought her hand up and placed it gently on his cheek as she noticed the look of pain in his eyes, he looked heartbroken. "I know I can not do anything to help you and you need time to process this news but I am here for you. So don't do anything stupid, don't do something bad, okay?"

Jackson brought his forehead over hers for a sense of comfort. He closed his eyes as he felt her touch, he needed her now more than ever and he knew she was there—always.

***

By the end of the day, the storm managed to calm down leaving Allison to check on her patients on post-ops while Jackson got out of surgery. The minute Allison's smartphone went off, she brought her phone out of her lab coat pocket and looked down at it. She walked towards the main floor of the hospital running into her husband.

Jackson looked exhausted but he knew he needed his wife next to him while he broke the news to Webber. Once Allison was in front of him he sighed, "I have to tell Webber."