✯JERK✯

She bends over the vessel, stirring the orange content with great effort

She bends over the vessel, stirring the orange content with great effort. Beads of sweat drip from her hips.

I fan myself, unable to bear the hotness radiating from her.

My chest squeezes, unable to avert my eyes from her hips.

I know nothing about her, not even her name, but there’s something soothing about her.

Every time we meet, she always puts me in an uncomfortable position. Does she plan it?

“What are you looking at, Karna?” Jyothi yelled. Her eyes wide. She quickly covers herself with her saree. I feel my face turn beet red, my hands sweat.

Oh gosh. How could I let that happen?

“Are you some kind of jerk?” She said, her eyes accusing me. Her chest rises and falls rapidly as she takes fast steps towards me.

I look around to make sure no one notices our minor scandal.

“I’m not a jerk,” I defend myself, pulling her into a dark corner of her side of the kitchen.

“Even though you 're a Demi God, you 're a jerk,” she says stabbing her long finger at my chest.

“You should stop touching me every time we meet,” I said, gripping her finger. “Ouch, it hurts,” she said, wincing in pain.

I immediately let go of her, but why do I smell something burning.

“Do you smell something burning?” I said, shock crosses her face her pupils flare.

“Oh no,” she said, running over to her pan. Black smoke arose from the pan, filling the kitchen. Everyone coughed and dashed out.

It’s all because of me. I distracted her from her work. Now she will get punished by her master, even though she did no mistake.

I saunter over to her. One could see her trembling hands. I put off the fire for her. Everyone throws nasty glances at her.

Why did I do it? I feel terrible to make her go through this.

I knelt beside her. Soft cries emerge from her quivering lips.

“I’m sorry. Look here, I’m ready to help you. We can finish this,” I said, rubbing her back, but she pushes me.

“Don’t dare to touch me. Do you have any idea how much effort I put in making this halwa?” She said, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

“I said I’m sorry. You can’t do anything by crying,” I said. Seeing her cry made me so guilty that I didn’t want to show her my face, but I still can’t leave her alone.

“Come here,” I commanded to the servant, who was gawking at us. She paced towards us, unknowing what I would do with her.

“Clean all this mess. Then prepare all the ingredients needed to make a halwa. Take anyone’s help, but I want it to be done quickly,” I said in one breath to the servant. She bowed to me and set to work gathering some people for help.

“Everything will be alright. Don’t cry,” I said, raising her to get feet. After making her sit on the stool, I brought some water for her.

She quietly emptied it. Her eyes were puffy from crying, too. She peered at the working servants. The fire was re-ignited, the smell of butter being heated filled the room.

“Will everything be done in time?” She questioned, fidgeting with her saree. “Yes, it will be,” I answered her back.

“Okay. I’ll go assist them,” she said, getting on her knees. She’ll have to redo all she's done . I didn’t want her to suffer alone. “I’ll also join you,” I said. She stares at me with open mouth, placing a hand on her chest.

“You? The crown prince?” She asked, catching me off guard. I responded, “Yes, me,” without looking her in the eyes.

“But don’t mess up,” she said, pinning her veil to the side and eyeing me up and down. “Okay,” I said, scratching my neck.

The big vessel was filled with carrot and other ingredients. Once again, the sweet smell filled the kitchen.

It took half a more to finish the halwa; it was sooner than what I had expected. Jyothi’s proper instructions are the reason for this success.

“Are you happy now?” I said to her, who was overlooking the servants extinguish the fire and transfer the halwa to another container for easy serving.

“Yes,” she said, not minding to look at me. “No, you aren’t happy. What more should I do?” I asked her, rubbing my sweaty hands against my pants.

She turns towards me.

“Stay away from me,” she said in a quiet voice. Before I could say anything, she places a hand on my lips .

“Stay away and stay quiet. I never want to meet y you again,” she said, her voice cracking.

I knew she wanted to stay with me; she denies her feelings for me. But why?

I think I know the answer. I’m never meant to be loved. Loneliness is all I own. My heart can never get the love it deserves.

Why am I even still alive?

I'm very very very sorry for making you wait for so long

I had a writer's block and I didn't know where to go.

But now I'm out.

I hope you enjoyed this story.

Don't be a silent reader.

Drop a vote for Tangled Love. Also a comment for me.

Love you all for reading my story.