xlvi. the message

Mariposa presses a final kiss to Jasper's lips as the couple enter the Cullen home, letting Sophia run off to find Renesmee

Mariposa presses a final kiss to Jasper's lips as the couple enter the Cullen home, letting Sophia run off to find Renesmee. The wife and husband soon find the Denalis and Cullens gathered in the living room, each holding frowns on their angelic faces as they discuss the Volturi's plans on how to take down each member of the family. The brunette sends Edward a smile, her best friend returning it but she can tell it was forced. "Aro will want us incapacitated before he attacks." Edward mentions, playing with his fingers. "Jane and Alec will try and take me, and unknowingly Mariposa, out because I can anticipate their moves."

Mariposa frowns at the mention of herself being taken out of the battle because of her bond with Edward. She doesn't blame him of course since neither of them can control it, other than Edward being able to shut Mariposa out of his mind, but it doesn't make her feel better. And it seems Jasper feels the same since his arms tighten around her, tugging her frame closer to him. She sends him a reassuring smile, squeezing his hand gently.

"Too bad we don't all have your shield." Garrett speaks up as he stands next to Kate, directing his statement to Bella. Garrett and Kate have grown close to each other over the weeks, causing a relationship to spark between them.

"Doesn't help me fight, though." Bella shrugs helplessly, pursing her lips with a frown. She crosses her arms in defeat. Her head suddenly perks up when she hears footsteps running around the Cullen home, they were light against the floor and were definitely child-like. She raises her eyes to Mariposa, tilting her head in amusement at the brunette. "Renesmee and Sophia are play fighting again." She tells her.

Mariposa lets out a small chuckle as Emmett shakes his head with a grin. "I swear they are a mini Edward and Mariposa. One of these days, they are going to get hurt." He declares, tossing a baseball between his hands.

"No, but you can help the rest of us, if you could project." Tanya says, returning to the topic back at hand, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"What do you mean?" Bella asks, clearly confused about her suggestion, glancing at Edward as if he can help her understand.

"I mean, shield someone other than yourself." Tanya goes more into depth.

"Is that possible?" Bella asks, a glint of excitement in her eyes as she uncrosses her arms. Mariposa smiles at her excitement, but gifts need time to adapt and for the user to grow used to them, it isn't just one and done. It seems that Carlisle also thinks the same.

"Gifts can be developed. Over time." Carlisle adds, nodding his head in agreement with Bella's previous sentence. A heavy thud makes them all wince and look up at the ceiling to hear giggling and a soft 'ow'. The patriarch sighs with a small smile on his graceful face. "Excuse me while I go and see which one of my granddaughters is hurt." He stands from his seat and departs from the room, sending an amused look towards Mariposa and Edward after seeing the two share large grins.