xlviii. hope vs. destruction

The snow crunches underneath their feet as mist is in their sight

The snow crunches underneath their feet as mist is in their sight. The battle field is covered in thin, white ice crystals, trees hunched over the slightest bit due to the piles of snow sitting on the branches. The Cullens and their witnesses stop halfway into the field, postures tense as their bodies are filled to the brim with anxiety, worry, and fear. Golden, crimson, and dhampir eyes scan the sight before them, a plain sight, but it would soon change to their nightmares.

The night before was filled with a happy environment, stories of the wars and battles from each coven were told and acted out, but they knew when first light came, they would be met with the inevitable confrontation that would tempt their futures.

Mariposa shares a heartfelt expression with Jasper, the two smiling softly at each other. Sophia stands in between her parents, hidden by them as she holds her father's hand and her mother's. A backpack, similar to Renesmee's, hangs off her shoulders, inside containing everything she and Seth would need if they needed to get away. The little girl peeks her head out and looks over at her cousin, who sends her a small, reassuring smile. Their eyes drift back over to the scenery in front of them, their enhanced vision scanning the treeline.

"The Redcoats are coming. The Redcoats are coming." Garrett chants in a low tone as the sound of footsteps walking against the snow covered ground meets their ears. They emerge slowly out of the forest as if to create even more suspense in the area than there already was.

The large numbers of the Volturi cancels out the Cullens and their witnesses by so much. It looks as though there were hundreds of people in the midst of the Volturi. Sophia and Renesmee can't help but lean back a bit, their eyes widening in fear at the sight of the Volturi. Mariposa lets her hand, that wasn't holding her daughter's, tighten over her silver stake, her honey brown eyes hardening at the sight of the Italian coven and Irina.

She turns her head over to Edward when he speaks up, "Aro's looking for Alice." He mumbles as he focuses on Aro's mind the most.

The mind reader is correct with his announcement as everyone can see Aro's blood red eyes scanning them individually to find the pixie seer in them. The sound of the wolves howling and their heavy steps announces their arrival to the confrontation as they emerge from the forest. While Jacob goes over to Bella, Edward, and Renesmee, Seth and Embry join Mariposa, Jasper, and Sophia. Mariposa shares a glance both with her daughter's imprinter and her own before they all look back at the scene in front of them.

The Volturi and their witnesses finally stop marching, a great distance between them and the Cullens and the rest of the covens. They let their hoods down with gentle movements, and Carlisle uses that as an opportunity to let go of Esme's hand and step forward to be his family's spokesperson.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to." Carlisle begins, speaking in a normal tone as if he was standing in front of Aro. "In a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us." Aro muses just as gently as Carlisle spoke. His voice sends uncomfortable shivers down Mariposa's back, the brunette exhaling deeply from her nose.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent." Carlisle retorts softly, pleading with the king of the coven. "No laws have been broken."

"We see the children. Do not treat us as fools." Caius spits out, vengeful and spiteful crimson eyes set on Renesmee and Sophia, both who clutch to their mothers as a way of seeking comfort.

"They are not Immortals!" Carlisle persists, his voice booming out in the field. "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look." He gestures to his granddaughters with his arm. "See the flesh of human blood in their cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius sneers with contempt as he refuses to believe a single word that comes from Carlisle, trying to find anything to end the Cullens once and for all.

"I will collect every facet of the truth." Aro holds his hand up to Caius to quiet him. "But from two people more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." His eyes then turn to his brother. "And Jasper, as the other clings to your dhampir mate, I also assume you are involved." The man holds his hand out to both brothers.

Jasper looks at Sophia, giving her a genuine smile as he squeezes her hand. His gaze turns to his wife, sending her a reassuring nod before walking away to join his brother. Mariposa feels Seth move closer to her side as she gets the urge to pull Jasper and Edward back to their family. Bella joins her side with Renesmee and Jacob, sharing a look with the brunette.

Edward is the first to extend his hand to Aro, letting the man read his every single thought through the tactile touch of a hand. Amazed with his thoughts, Aro quickly lets go and grasps Jasper's hand with a maniacal grin on his pale face. It's a quick second before he also drops his hand and looks over their shoulders with eagerness plastered all over his face, eyes set on the two children.

"I'd like to meet them." Aro insists, a tone telling them there's no room for discussion.

Edward frowns at his thoughts as Jasper, a bit reluctantly, looks back at the two mothers. Mariposa quickly catches her bonded Moroi's thoughts and furrows her brows angrily. She tucks her stake away in the sleeve of her leather jacket, glancing down at her daughter before walking towards the Volturi with Seth and Embry behind her. Bella soon joins her after a few seconds, Emmett and Jacob with her.

While each step takes them closer to the Volturi, there are two doors open. One leads to freedom and a longtime of happiness whilst the other leads them to doom and forever destruction. No one but one person knows how it ends and which they will live forever, but alas that one person is gone and they have nothing but hope to rely upon.