xlvii. jasper's decision

Mariposa tugs on her locks angrily as she paces before Bella, the vampire trying to comfort and calm her but it clearly wasn't working

Mariposa tugs on her locks angrily as she paces before Bella, the vampire trying to comfort and calm her but it clearly wasn't working. Two yellow manila envelopes lay on the coffee table in front of them, almost mocking the two conflicted mothers as they just simply were there. A scream of frustration echoes throughout the lonesome cottage home that belonged to Mariposa and Jasper, and Bella immediately takes a step back with a frown, knowing how angry Mariposa can get within seconds. The sound of glass shattering somewhere near them makes Bella flinch, but she makes a mental note to clean it up before going to get Sophia and Renesmee from Charlie's place.

"God, how could he do this to me? To Sophia and Seth for fuck sakes." Mariposa exclaims angrily, gesturing to the envelope. "To Renesmee and Jacob." She can't believe it. She just couldn't.

Her own husband had gotten into contact with Alice, but only for the pixie vampire to tell him to call a businessman that he has employed since the nineteen eighties, and place an order for forged legal documents for Renesmee, Sophia, Jacob, and Seth. Jasper had kept it a secret up until the moment he became aware that his wife and sister-in-law had left for Seattle to retrieve the documents. But he still continues to act like he has nothing to hide, just waiting only for the inevitable moment that Mariposa confronts him.

"You can't blame Jasper for this, Mari." Bella tells her, pulling the brunette to sit down on the couch next to her. She was getting, figuratively, dizzy from watching her pace around, and she was worried that Mariposa would burn a hole into her floor. "He was just doing what he does best, what his family does best. Protect each other. Alice's vision was clear to her and to Jasper, the girls would have a future but we wouldn't be a part of it. It was only a matter of time before it was set in stone, and it was. This," Bella gestures to the envelopes, "will keep them safe. Hidden. If anything were to go wrong. Doesn't that matter more?"

"Of course it does, Bells." Mariposa sighs, dropping her head into her hands for a moment. "But it doesn't make it right that he didn't tell me. Kept this a secret. His mate, his own wife. I just wish he would have told me so I could prepare myself for this moment. I just can't send my own daughter away, Bella. I can't." A heart broken look covers her face. Bella sends her a look of pity, knowing that the brunette was struggling at the moment.

"I can't either. But it's what we would have to do if the Volturi want to fight. As mothers. Our children come first, always. No matter what. If sending the girls away with Seth and Jacob will keep them safe, so be it. It's better than them getting killed by the Volturi." Bella says before standing up and letting out a sigh. "Go easy on Jasper, would you. He's probably just as upset as you are. He did have to keep this a secret." She sends the brunette a smile and a comforting hand to the shoulder before gathering her belongings and going to pick up their daughters.

Mariposa listens as the front door closes gently. And once she hears the car drive away, she tentatively picks up her envelope and opens it. Her hands pull out two passports, leaving everything else inside. She opens both items to the information page of who they belonged to. Sophia Wolfe. Seth Wolfe. Along with the alias, pictures of Sophia and Seth next to the names were printed, birthdays, and every other little piece of information that was needed for a passport was on the fake ones.

As she gets the urge to set the items on fire, Mariposa quickly packs everything up before she could. The front opens once again, and instead of being met with the sounds of her daughter's giggles, Jasper's slow steps enter the living room. His guilty eyes find his wife's figure. She's obviously upset and angry and, in all words, pissed at him; he didn't need his gift to know that. He stops nearing closer to her when she holds a hand out to him, her eyes cast down as if she couldn't bear to look at him, Bella's words flying out the window.

"Where's Sophia?" Mariposa asks him, her voice a scary calm. She stands up slowly, looking at her husband straight in the eye with anger in her honey brown eyes. "You know, our daughter that you want to send away." She repeats, but this time the anger she feels are in her words.

"At the house with Nessie. They wanted to spend more time with each other." Jasper answers, ignoring her hurtful words. "Listen, Mari, I know you're upset, and you have every right to be," Her scoff cuts him off but he continues speaking. "But you need to understand that I did this to keep her safe. Alice saw that the Volturi do want to fight. They want to get rid of us and Renesmee and Sophia. She only told me to do this so if anything would go wrong, they can get out of there safely. They would go into hiding with Jacob and Seth to protect them. That is the only reason why I did this."

Jasper doesn't expect for Mariposa to approach him and slam the envelope into his cold, hard chest, a glare in her eyes. His hands grab onto it when she lets go. "I just want to know why. Why didn't you tell me?" She asks him.

"I didn't want to hurt you." He responds, throwing the item in his hands onto the coffee table. He looks down at her, ocher eyes full of regret and guilt as he sees the sadness swimming in her honey brown eyes, replacing the anger.

"You didn't want to hurt me? Jasper, it hurts more that you kept this a secret. You had months to tell me about this but you didn't. You stayed quiet until Bella figured it out and told me." Mariposa throws back at him. She doesn't notice the tears fall down her face, water stained on her cheeks.

His hands cup her face, thumbs brushing away the tears that fall out of her eyes. He tugs her into a hug, lips pressing against her head. "I didn't want you to hate me." He whispers truthfully. "I had to fight with myself so I wouldn't tell you or Bella anything. I love you and Sophia so much that I am willing to send her away by all means if it means to keep her away from the hands of the Volturi. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you. I'm so sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry for everything."

Mariposa sniffles against his shoulder as she shakes her head gently. "I can't send her away, Jasper. She's my little girl. She doesn't deserve this." She says, her voice breaking.

"I know she doesn't. But I'm hoping, whatever god or being out there, that Alice's vision changes and we won't have to use these fakes ever." He says as he pulls away, looking down at her with comforting eyes. He brushes her hair away, kissing her temple with a sigh.

"I'm gonna go get a bag ready for Sophia. Just in case." She tells him, blinking away the tears that threaten to fall from her eyes. She leans up and presses a soft kiss to his cheek before walking away.

Looking out the window of Sophia's room, Mariposa can see the snow beginning to fall from the sky, but not sticking to the ground yet. She knows that it's only a matter of time before it does and she can't even begin to think about what happens when it does.

HOLY FUCK GUYS 53K READS ON THIS BOOK!!!! I'm so happy that people actually enjoy this book. THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU ALL!!!