Part 17

"All though it's been said many times many ways;
Merry Christmas to you!"

We sang along to the rhyme. Alaina was on my back. 
"Merry Christmas Mumma and Daddy!" Said Alaina as we entered the living room.

"Merry christmas honey" 
She got down from my back and ran towards the direction of the  room where gifts were placed. Her brother also joined her.
They both began to unwrap the gift covers, excitement radiated from their faces.

"Look what I got!" Said Alaina to her brother
"See mine is this toy house." Alan showed his gift to her.

"They are adorable." I almost jumped hearing the sudden voice of Arnav close from behind. 
"Yeah" I replied after recovering from the shock. 
He came and stood beside me. 
"Hope you haven't forgotten today's plan with me." He said
"No, I remember." I wanted to ask where we were going and for what reason but he left saying "Merry christmas!"

I wished him back and he left with the kids in the front yard saying that he had something for them there.

*********************

I looked at the clock.
"Ah, shit! How come I forgot?"
Only 5 minutes till 4 pm.

At noon after lunch, we talked about each other.
Anita told about her college days, how Aman proposed to her, from their engagement, and marriage to kids. 
I also came to know that I was 8 years younger than her and Aman. 

And the talk went on and on. And when she started to talk about the nearby places that we were gonna visit for the rest of the week, I realised that Arnav would be waiting for me at 4 in the evening.

I quickly got up and went to the bathroom to freshen up. As I didn't have time to choose my dress, I settled on one of the cargo pants and top with the jacket.
Although I was hesitant to wear this as I hardly knew where we were going. Was confused whether to wear some long maxi dress or this.
But then I saw the time which was already 15 minutes past 4.
So brushing all my thoughts, I quickly took my handbag and rushed out of the room.

"You're late." I heard Arnav as soon as I came into the living room downstairs.
He had his hands folded and was looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"Sorry, I lost track of time while talking with Anita ."
"Alright, let's go" 

We were already 20 minutes on our way. I tried to ask him 2 times now where we were going, but he everytime said "we're almost there. You'll find out soon."
He knew that curiosity was getting hard for me to control. And he was enjoying every bit of my annoyance.

As his mobile rang, he ignored it for the first time. But when it went on for second time, he answered, with bluetooth earpiece connected,
"Yes Aman, anything important?" His voice sounded irritated.
………………..
" What! Since how many hours?.....which floor…..no, wait we're coming."

He ended the call.

He swiftly made the u-turn.
"We will have to go back. There has been a fire at the Delhi Branch office." He said to me. He was hardly able to control his emotion:anger being the main one.

"Okay. Has the fire been controlled? Hope it hasn't caused any major damage!" I said worried, because if it's the other way then it's surely gonna cost a lot.

"It's still underway."  

He speeded up the car. I was literally worried about our safety, because the way he was driving the car at full speed, I hardly believed that we would make it to the farmhouse in one piece.
On the way, he ignored my comments to drive slow.