Part 20

Trigger Warning: Sensitive Content ahead.

I looked at him contemplating the possibility of telling the truth or lying. But then decided to go for the truth.

"I had a friend, Amy. We were really close to each other and inseparable. Our bond was unbreakable even after we chose different careers. She pursued law while I went for medical. Everything was perfect until she fell in love with Uday. 
He was some rich dude being an heir of a chemical company, studying MBA in the same university as Amy's .They were together for five years. There was not even a doubt in anyone's eyes, seeing his love for Amy. He was perfect for her, he always took care of every little needs of Amy. I was also sure that they were going to last for the lifetime.Everyone envied them.
All was well until Amy asked him to marry her. She had noticed some weird behavior from his side. 
Uday excused himself from marriage as long as he could, but then when Amy revealed that she was gonna be the mother of his child, he started ignoring her.
And then after a month of waiting, when her patience ran out, she went to his house. And found out that Uday had already married a girl three months ago. She was a businessman's daughter.

On confronting him, he told Amy that the girl whom he married had brought money, which made him even richer. While Amy was just a middle class girl, she wasn't gonna give him that. He admitted that he used her for his entertainment, all those love and all was just a facade. He used her so as to spice up his life as it had become boring in college."

I turned from the window towards where Arnav stood, and continued, " I tried to comfort her, did every effort to bring out of her devastated state. She was getting normal as she told me that she is strong enough to handle this too. I also noticed that she was trying to move on. 2 days later, I had my Post Graduation entrance, so I had to leave her, she was with her family.
Then, on the next day, after I came out by giving my exam,I heard the news that I lost my best friend. She...shee.." 
Tears were endlessly  flowing from my eyes 

Arnav immediately came and hugged me. "Arnav.. she en..ended her..se" 
"Shhh! Khushi, it's ok. I got it" he said.

Then after a few minutes, he made me sit and with his handkerchief wiped my tears. And gave me the water.

He seated beside me, giving me time to gather myself.

After some time,
"I have seen enough to know that love is only a beautiful fantasy. It only brings destruction. And I hope now you can understand why I don't believe in love." I said as I got up.
"And I personally believe that you deserve someone better than me. Someone who's equal to you."

"We are better as friends only. okay?!" I said 
He just stared at me. No words were spoken from his side. 
I waited for a few minutes for him to speak but when nothing happened I excused myself with silent Arnav behind in the library.

Locking myself in my room, I walked to the mirror and looked at myself. 
I wondered, how come such a big personality fell in love with me? Yeah, we were friends.
But other than that we had nothing in common. I am just a simple person. A surgeon. That's it. 
Although my heart was feeling heavy. But my mind was at peace!  I indeed felt bad for rejecting him. But I know I did the right thing. Feelings can be controlled. 

***********

I spent the entire day in my room. Purposely, trying to ignore him in order to give him space to come to terms with reality and his emotions. But as we had planned to leave in the evening, I know that I will have to face him.
I had made peace with myself with the possibilities of the outcome. Either he will understand me and stay as friends only or he will cut ties.

With that thought I descended the stairs with my bags that I packed. 
A week had passed in the blink. 
It was a fun filled week that ended with the shocking revelation. Today was the 31st of December. 
Another year ends today. How come time flies by so fast? I smiled at my thoughts.

"Mam, if you're ready then I would like to carry your bags to the car." Said Joy, one of the bodyguards of Arnav.
I looked confused at him. 
" I can do it myself. Thank you." I replied to him looking around for Arnav.

"I'm sorry mam, you can't. Sir has given strict orders to take care of you and drop you at the AR International safely." He replied, causing a little shock at the newfound details.

"What?! Where's Arnav?" I need to talk to him.
What's all this suddenly?

"I think you don't know. But Sir has messaged you. So please check your phone." 
Confused, I pulled out my phone from my jeans pocket.

I found an unread message. I opened it,

Hey Khushi, I have some important work at the nearby NGO. Need to leave.I've assigned my bodyguards. They will drop you at my Hotel. 

Meet you there.

One thing I didn't understand is when I have my apartment there, then why do I need to go to the hotel in the same city.
I decided to tell the bodyguards once we reached there. 

********

3 hours later,
Time: 19:37 hours

The car stood in front of the AR International Hotel.

I came out of the car. And waited for my bags,which Joy was taking out from the car.
Once they were out, I turned towards him.
"Thanks. Now I'll take my leave."
I turned towards the exit gate of the Hotel compound, but was stopped midway.

"Mam, where are you going?"
"To my home. I live in this city only, 20 minutes from here. " I said calmly. I knew what was coming further. 

"Sorry Mam, but you can't go home. ASR has asked you to stay in his suite till he comes."
Said Joy

"I have a home nearby,so why would I stay in the hotel?! " I said to him. 

"ASR has given us a strict order to not let you go out of the hotel premise.So Please accompany us to the suite."

I looked reluctant at him.

"We are just doing our job. You can ask him once he comes." 
Seeing no other option, I followed them with a confused mind.

Once arriving in the suite, I went to a room and took a long bath, changed into a loose t-shirt and trousers.
It was  20: 40 by now, and still there wasn't any sign of Arnav. I wonder where he is and what was the matter for making me stay here.

I grabbed the juice container from the refrigerator, and poured it into a glass. I sat in the living room watching the  movie .
I was distracted from the movie when I heard the Main Door closing. I looked and found Arnav coming in.

"I'm glad that you stayed." He said drinking a glass of water.
Huh! As if I had another option. 

"You look tired." I said

He went to his room to get fresh. And I continued to watch my movie. 
Almost 15 minutes had passed, and the doorbell rang. 
Was anyone else gonna come?
Confused, I got up and on opening I found the hotel staff with the food trolley.

"Wait, I think you are mistaken
I didn't order the food." I stopped them.

"Mam, …"
"I ordered it." Said Arnav. 

The hotel staff arranged the food on the dining table and left.
"Come Khushi, It's already 10." Said Arnav,
 "I know you haven't eaten anything."

I went to him, " I was waiting for you. By the way, why did you ask me to stay here?"

He ignored my question and pulled a chair and gestured for me to sit.
"Let's eat first, I'm starving." He said

Reluctantly I agreed. 

It was hard for me to sit quietly during  dinner. I ate slowly in order to pass the time.  Except few "Do you want this?" "Pass me the bowl" , nothing was exchanged between us. He was also in some deep thoughts.
Must be work related.

When the dinner was finished,
 " There's a new year celebration in the hotel. So I just wanted you to stay." He said.

"Oh, okay." I replied. This was unexpected

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

The next part is also updated. Scroll down to read it.