Chapter Nine

When I walked out of the bathroom, Aaron was sitting on our bed holding a small bottle. He stood up as soon as he noticed me, extending his arm to give me the bottle.

"What is it?" I asked as I took it.

"It's the ointment. Cream. Whatever. You need to put it on, it'll help to numb the sting of the cuts." Aaron looked a bit flustered.

I set down my dirty clothes, planning on throwing them away.

There was something in Aaron's eyes that I couldn't read, his face was set, not giving any emotion away.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked.

"Am I okay? Am I okay?!" he laughed bitterly this time. "I'm not the one who took a roll down hill!"

"You don't have to remind me. I'm embarrassed enough." I opened the lotion bottle and started applying some on my arms.

"This was a bad idea," Aaron cut himself off as his phone vibrated on the nightstand.

"Answer. It has to be important."

Aaron sighed and grabbed the phone, placed it by his ear.

"Yes?" there was a long pause, but the expression on Aarons face worried me. "What do you-- no, I'm going. Yes, I'll cover all of it. Of course. . . Can you inform my parents? Ah... no it's fine, I'll be there as soon as possible."

He didn't move, just held the phone in his hand as he stared straight head. Worry all over his face.

"Aaron? What's going on?" I stood in front of him, watching him blink several times as he looked up at me. There was pain and fear in his eyes, emotions that I rarely got a glimpse of.

"Laurel." he swallowed and closed his eyes tightly before looking straight into mine. "She's been in the hospital for two days. My parents aren't taking responsibility for her. Laurel has always been trouble, and now she had an alcohol intoxication. She's pregnant, Regan, and she and the baby barely made it out alive."

I didn't know what to say, I was too shocked to even try. So I wrapped my arms around him and felt him do the same. I'd never seen him so vulnerable. Ever. It tore my heart apart.

When he didn't make a move to call anyone to come for us after I pulled away from him, I took the phone in his hand, too worried to search for mine, and called Fuller.

"Fuller, it's Regan."

"Hello Mrs., what can I do for you?" at the same time he asked that my friends knocked on the door and came into the room. They paused when they saw Aaron and I, but I motioned for them to come in anyways. They were very quiet about it too.

"We need to you send a driver for us. Make sure to let him know he's going to be taking Aaron's place in staying here at the camp, only until tomorrow evening." I paused to look down at Aaron who was holding my hand with a worried gaze. I pulled the phone away.

"Are we taking Laurel home?" I asked Aaron. He glanced at me with a bit of a surprise look. Then he simply nodded.

"Fuller, have Rita and Cindy prepare a guest room for Laurel. Also, make sure to have all alcohol beverages under lock and key." Aaron tightened his grip on my hand, I guess it was a form of thank you.

"Of course Mrs., anything else?"

"No, that's all for now. Thank you." I hung up, placing the phone on the bed. When Aaron didn't move I started packing everything, then paused to look at our attire.

"Is Laurel in this city?" I asked Aaron.

"Yes. She was on her way to my parent's. I guess her flight got canceled or something." he let out a shaky breath. "Regan, the baby-"