Chapter Twenty-Three

"She's waking up! She's waking up!" Jared's voice sounded panicked.

"You don't have to repeat it, I got it the first time." And that was Laurel.

Slowly I opened my eyes. The view was definitely different than when I passed out.

Someone had carried me to my room. All of my friends, Laurel and Fuller were in the room. They all shared a look of relief.

I sat up and rubbed the back of my head.

"Fuller, can you pass me that bag," I pointed to the one holding my pills.

"I'm going to call Aaron." Laurel went for the phone.

"No!"

"Why the hell not?!"

"Because he's got a lot in his mind right now. I want him with a clear head and beign careful."

That's reasonable enough, in my opinion.

"If I tell him you fainted, he'll be here in a blink!" she waved the phone for emphasis.

"Exactly! I don't want him rushing over here when I'm perfectly fine. He's busy, I want him with his head on the game. Those people need him." Trying to eason with Laurel proved to be harder than I expected.

It was like that time when we argued about who wore a certain dress better. I insisted it was her because of her body complexion, on me it looked plain. But no, she wouldn't have that, even though I was complimenting her.

Wait a minute...

"You fainted! You need him too! Maybe I should fake to be in labor, that'll get him here fast. No one should have let him go, anyway." Laurel sighed dramatically.

"Regan said not to call him." Greg snatched the phone from Laurel's hand. "And I agree with her."

I remembered that small, shot talk with him about my social status. How I had money before becoming Mrs. Scarlatti.

As I lookd over my friends I could easily remember situations, conversations, events, however anyone could name it. I remembered.

The time when Jared teased Aaron who in turn got sort of possessive and jealous at the dining table. The little looks he sent me just to piss my husband off.

How talking to Elliot was as easy as talking to a brother, or at least that's what I think it would feel like. I wouldn't really know, being an only child and all. I could easily remember his jokes and familiarity.

The times Alice had no filter between her brain and mouth, blurting out what she thought without stopping to see if it was offensive, out of place or not.

Leah's maturity, her thoughtfulness, and the sudden joke that made you grin widely for several minutes. Her shyness, insecurities and the little encourashment I gave her at the camp.

And of course, Greg's intelligence, smartasss comments, carefree persona.

Not to forget the sexual tension between Greg and Leah, Alice and Jared. How they seemed to go on a pace slower than a turtle's.

"And now she's done it. She's insane. Why are you grinning like a fool?" Laurel's none too gentle and low tone got my attention.

"Something good came out of this." I just couldn't hold back the laughter. I guess the pressure and stress weren't so bad if it had gotten me here.

"I'm telling you, insane." Laurel shook her head.

"Nearly giving us a heart attack is not soemthign I'll consider good." Alice was staring at me with a worried look. Mirroring the rest of the people inside the room. I think Fuller even called Rita to bring me tea.