Chapter Twenty-Six

It was Sunday, a day after Angela's event, and I was sitting on the living room with my laptop. Finishing the last of my assignments. I was graduating high school in a week and had to give all my teachers my last extra credit sheets.

Not graduating was out of the question.

So here I am, typing away, stressing over everything and sipping coffee like an addict. When all of a sudden Laurel is dropping down next to me and making me nearly spill coffee all over my laptop.

"Jesus! Are you trying to kill me?" I exclaimed. Saving my work and closing the lid of the computer, then carefully setting down the cup on the coffee table.

"I have a question." Laurel got comfortable on the couch and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Well, what is it?"

It was quite strange for her to be asking me something and in a somewhat nice tone. Plus she looked kind of nervous as well.

"I was looking at some websites the other day and," she sighed and this time she looked away from me. Her eyes set on the floor. "I'm thinking of putting the baby up for adoption."

What?! Okay. This is really serious.

I sat up straighter and cleared my throat.

"You do know that once you sign any sort of agreement you can't back out, right?" just needed to make sure she hadn't already chosen any family or place for her to leave her baby at.

"Yes. But, Regan, I don't think I'll be a good mother. I wont be good to this kid." she pointed a finger at the slight bulge of her stomach. "I'm barely going day through day. It takes me every inch of self control not to actually sneak out and go to a bar. I'm craving a drink so much its scary. The doctor said to focus on something else, to try drinking or eating something else to calm a bit of the anxiety. But its all driving me insane! I just want this baby out so I can live my life again." there was hurt and anger in her eyes as she tried to hold back the tears.

"I think its best for you to think things through. There's still time left before you give birth. Don't rush things, Laurel. You might change your mind once you have your baby in your arms." I sighed and continued without really thinking much. "And if you still don't want your baby, Aaron and I can take care of them."

"What?" her eyes went huge with surprise, her mouth creating a perfect oval. "You would take my baby just like that?"

"Its family." I shrugged. "Aaron's nephew which makes him mine by default. I'm sure Aaron would agree with me that we don't want your baby with another family." when she just kept staring at me I continued. "And if you decide to actually keep them, well Aaron and I can look after it while you go on rehab. If you're going to be a good mom you need to look out for what's best for your child."

Laurel kept staring at me as if I'd suddenly grown additional limbs. She sat very still and wouldn't take her eyes off mine. It was getting really uncomfortable. Staring for a long period of time is beyond rude.

"I- I ah, I'll think about it." she quickly got up and rubbed her neck, still staring at me. "Thanks for the talk."

"I'm here when you want to have another." I smiled softly and waited until she left to grab my phone and call Aaron. He'd run to the office and should be back in an hour or two.

"Hello, love." Aaron's voice made me smile.

"Hi. How are things?"

"We found the contracts and Arlene's been fired. I'm on the look out of a new secretary. One who doesn't misplace important papers or gets nail polish all over out equipment." he sounded annoyed and I was sort of happy that I wouldn't have to deal with Arlene anymore, but sorry that she lost her job.