Chapter Twenty-Four

Perhaps confessing my love to my husband right when he came from a very difficult situation at work, right after I had passed out and woken up with what I hoped where all my memories, wasn't the best timing.

My heart was beating rapidly and I regretted blurting out those three words. Aaron was looking at me as if I'd grown another head. If he looked pale before, now he looks as if he's seconds from passing out. Then hands that were firmly holding mine were suddenly limp. His mouth was parted as if he was about to comment on something but didn't really know what to say. Shock written all over his beautiful eyes that couldn't seem to leave mine.

"I'll go ahead and join the guys." Elliot informed after a very loud cough. I heard his retreating steps but didn't dare to look away from Aaron.

"Look, I know what the rules were. Not falling in love was a huge one. But after everything we've been through and with the whole 'lets give our marriage a try' I'm pretty sure that rule doesn't count anymore. And I mean, there's nothing wrong with being in love with your partner, right? So when I came to the realization that I was actually in love with you, I just couldn't wait to tell you. To tell anyone who would listen. It's not something I want to fight. I love you. It's just that simple. I know you probably don't return the feeling and I'm not rushing you to. I don't want you to feel obliged to say them back when you don't truly mean it. I'm just trying to tell you to get used to hearing them from me though, 'cause I'll be blurting out that I love you every chance I get." Okay, I suddenly remembered I needed oxygen. Say all that in one go, rapidly as to not be interrupted was quite something.

It didn't help that Aaron was still speechless.

*-*

He just kept staring at me with shock. Blinking every now and then and his jaw was now set. It was making me uncomforable. Why isn't he saying anything?! His face is just showing shock but nothing more.

Did I just ruin everything?

"Aaron I-"

In a blink of an eye I was being pressed to the nearest wall. Caged in by Aaron's arms as he stared down at me. There was a grin on his face. It was all too much. My mind was starting to go blank with the way he was pressing against me. The heat of his body, the stare. How am I supposed to function?

"That was a very good speech." He commented making me scowl. As I went to reply he pressed a kiss to my lips to shut me up. Okay, he can keep doing that all he wants.

It was only our lips touching but I was aching everywhere. What are you doing to me, Aaron?

When he pulled back it was only to stare at me straight in the eyes, hand on my cheek. Even with the dust in his hair and the dirt on his cheek he still managed to take my breath away. I just couldn't stop looking at him.

"I love you."

I hadn't known how much I wanted him to say those words until this moment. I didn't mean for the tears to escape down my cheeks or for the sob to get out of my mouth. I simply had no control of it.

Aaron's arms finally went around me to hug me tightly close. His hand rested on the end of my spine while the other one rubbed soothing circles on my back. He kept murmuring comforting words in my ear as I kept shaking. And I don't know why I kept clawing at his back. Perhaps it was because I wanted to make sure he was really here, that it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me. Perhaps it was the need to feel someone close, my Aaron close. Maybe it was the realization that he was finally completely mine. That it was okay for me to say anything I wanted without the fear of him pushing me away.

I couldn't even explain to myself why I kept crying, why I kept clinging, why I kept mumbling nonsense. But I was relieved Aaron didn't panic and left.