Chapter Eighteen

The throb on my head was slowly fading. I managed to keep a smile on my face, it wasn't that hard with the beautiful sight before me. The mare was gorgeous, belly swollen up due to the baby she was carrying.

I would be a liar if I said I wasn't at least a bit scared of her, or any of the other horses for that matter. They're so huge, so strong, dangerous and proud. My respect went to everyone who walked comfortably around them and managed to ride without passing out. Reason why I refused to do just that. I preferred having my feet on the ground, the fall wouldn't be so high if I happened to trip than it'll be if I went on top of a horse.

"How many months until she's due?" I asked as I stroked her along the neck.

"Just a couple of months. Four or five." Peter said.

I turned to look at Aaron. "Do you think we can come back around that time? I want to see the foal. I've never seen one and I think it'll be a beautiful one."

"Of course." Aaron smiled at me and grabbed my hand to pull me from the stables. We've been standing here for far too long and I was starting to get hungry.

"This place is beautiful. So much green and the fresh air." I sighed and turned my head up to the sky, closing my eyes so I wouldn't be blinded by the sun. "We should look for a place to eat."

"Already have one." Aaron said and started pulling me along. Our hands intertwined; I leaned onto him and grabbed his arm with my other hand as we walked.

And walked.

And walked.

Okay, maybe he wanted to get us lost. I didn't dare ask where we were going, but I did look around us to make sure we were still on his land. It worried me a little that an animal would come out of nowhere and try to harm us. But Aaron seemed determined to get somewhere and I trusted him.

It was a few minutes later that we were standing under a tree, a very large tree that gave us enough shade to sit under it and enjoy our food.

"I used to come here when I was younger. I never really managed convinced my father to build me a tree house. My grandfather's brother promised me one but before he could start he passed away." Aaron seemed to be far away into his memories. It made me sad. I grabbed his hand and squeezed, letting him know I was here.

"I'm sorry." he smiled at me and I continued. "We can always build that tree house."

He looked startled for a minute and then laughed shaking his head.

"I'm too old for one."

"We're never too old and who knows? Maybe in a couple of years our child will want a tree house and what better way than to say his father built it ahead of time?"

I instantly regretted bringing that up. The look on Aaron's face turned dark and I slowly let go of his hand since he wasn't really holding it back anymore. A bit nervous I grabbed a soft drink from the basket and took a sip.

"You don't want kids, do you?" it pained me a little. Even though I couldn't remember all the time I spend with him before the accident, I remembered everything before that. And the though of having a child always excited me. Now that I'm with Aaron, now that everything seemed to be going good, I just thought he would share the feeling of having a child. Our child.

And I was wrong.

He didn't reply for a few minutes. He simply stared straight ahead. So I started eating. The nerves consuming and I practically cursed myself for bringing this up. What if we'd already talked about this? What if we'd already agreed on not having kids? Why couldn't I remember?! It was making things ten times harder.