Chapter Twelve

Aaron woke up when the nurse was leaving after placing a tray of food in front of me. I smiled at Aaron who looked a bit confused for a second before he focused on me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he stretched up a little.

"A lot better." I took a bite of the eggs. "Want some?"

Aaron eyed my food, he turned a little green and shook his head quickly. I was too hungry to even complain about the foul taste of the food. It was keeping me alive, wasn't it?

"So, everyone is coming back today." I stated as I took a sip from the cup, frowning as I tasted apple juice.

"Yes. But I'll make sure they don't pile in like yesterday. That was very inconsiderate of them." Aaron frowned at the memory, was my guess.

"Would you stay with me?" when he turned that frown at me, I quickly explained. "I mean, when they come in. It'll make me feel a bit better if you didn't leave the room. But if you have something else to do, I understand. You can't stay here all day. You know what? Forget it, you don't have to stay. I'll do fine."

Aaron kept staying at my face, as if he'd just discovered something. It made me really uncomfortable. I looked away and kept eating, trying my best to ignore the tingly sensation I felt all over as his stare didn't waver. I shifted a little on the bed, hiding the pain that coursed through me for that.

"You're really..." Aaron trailed off, making me look at him curiously. I waited for him to finish and when he didn't I went back to eating.

How much food did they serve me? Did they notice how hungry I was? Did I look like some starved convict? Oh God, I probably do look horrible. Is that why Aaron was staring at me weirdly? Did he mean to say I looked dead? No, he'll be subtle about it. Maybe he was going to say I looked tired or dishelmed.

"You're beautiful Regan."

And I dropped my apple juice all over the sheets and the sort of robe I was wearing. Smooth Regan, very smooth.

Aaron instantly got up, removing the tray and cup. He pressed the button that called in for the nurse and went to dry my arm. I could just stare at him.

"What did you say?" I asked for reassurance just as the nurse came in. She winced when she saw me and went to grab a new robe for me to change and new sheets. And guess who's helping me dress while she changes the bed sheets?

Aaron.

I blushed tomato red as he helped me up to the bathroom. Oh, that was really uncomfortable. My legs were wobbly, it felt like I hadn't used them in years. And I felt really weak. I used Aaron as support until we reached the bathroom and I grabbed onto a sort of rail designed for you to hold onto to help yourself move. Well, I think that's what its normally used for. If not, oh well, I'm using it to support myself as Aaron locked the door.

He undid the knots from the hospital gown and slipped it off me. My face became hot and I don't doubt I look like a tomato right now. I was standing with my back to my husband stark naked. I quickly placed an arm over my breasts when he took his time unfolding the other gown.

I stared longingly at the shower, wishing I could stand under a warm spray. But the doctor told me to wait another day.

It finally dawned on me that Aaron hadn't bothered to help me dress again. I shifted enough to turn and see him while still keeping an arm over my breasts and just giving him my back view.

There he stood, holding the gown in his hands in front of him while he simply watched me.

"Aaron?" I asked when he didn't make a move.