Chapter Twenty-Seven

To say that we were shocked and sad was an understatement.

Laurel losing her baby was not something we could take lightly. Even though she wasn't sure of keeping her child, it was still something that hurt her. For a few minutes she was in denial. Wouldn't accept that her baby was gone. That had me close to tears.

Aaron wasn't handling it that good either. All of this reminded him of Lily and their baby. He kept asking the doctors if Laurel was going to be okay. Making sure her physical health was intact to help with her mental state.

Alice and Leah had excused themselves when we were finally going to take Laurel home.

Jane, the mother of the kid who bumped into Laurel, wanted to pay for everything. Aaron let her know that wasn't necessary and told her it wasn't her son's or nephew's fault really. At least that's what Dr. Murdoch said.

When Laurel was released she was in a wheel chair, refusing to move much. She just stared straight ahead, out of focus, and empty eyes. I couldn't even imagine what she's going through. But I still hurt for her.

Once out of the hospital, there was a reporter and some cameras aimed at us. It was a bit strange since this hasn't happened in quite a while. But I guess that whenever something bad happened to this family there were people who wanted to know.

We didn't answer any of the questions thrown at us. We just kept walking until we reached the car. Zeke helped to keep the reporters from getting too close as Aaron helped Laurel into the car.

In less than five minutes we were on our way back home.

As soon as we entered our home, Laurel ran up to her room.

"Make sure that every bottle of alcohol, any pills are under lock and key." Aaron instructed Fuller who quickly vowed and went to check on everything.

"Are you making her go to counseling?" I wondered as we walked into the living room. I sat next to him and soon was rubbing his back and giving his shoulder's a massage to try and ease the tension in them.

"Yes. It's what's best." Aaron sighed and shook his head. "I'm scared she's going to go back to what she used to do. I don't want to send her to rehab yet. I don't want her to think she's alone in this."

"Let's give her time. She needs to be able to grieve. We can decide what she wants to do later on. But right now lets just be here for her."

"You're right." Aaron sighed again and called for Fuller. "Have Cindy take some tea to Laurel. Anything to calm her a little."

"Yes, sir." Fuller did his signature bow and left.

"Perhaps you should lie down too." I suggested.

"I don't think I could right now. I'm going to the study and finish some work." I didn't say anything, just nodded and stopped myself from clinging to him. Aaron was the type of person who needed to be alone at times. When he felt comfortable enough, he'll come back to me.

"Okay." I smiled a little at him. He nodded and pressed a lingering kiss to my lips, then walked off.

And I kept wondering, if it all was my fault. If losing her baby was truly all on me.

~

It had been a little over a week and it was finally my graduation day.

I'd managed to turn every pending work to actually pass all my classes with good grades. And I'll be a liar if I said I didn't feel accomplished.

We were all in the auditorium of the school, everyone that was graduating sitting and wearing our graduation gowns. Being on the opposite end of our families and friends.