Chapter Eighteen

“How was your trip?” Mia asked from the makeup stool.

                “It was…” I hesitated. Flashes of my hands roaming up Alessio’s skin entered my mind, the way my thumbs had moved up his core, the nails gently scratching and my fingers dipping and rising along the hills of his abs. “It was interesting.” I finally decided. I was so grateful in this moment that she spent so much time on her makeup and hair, had she been facing me and saw the way my cheeks colored she might have pressed for more.

                “You’re lucky you know.” She said brushing powder onto her cheeks. “Alessio is such a nice guy, and he never takes anyone out.”

                “A nice guy?” I gaped. “I’m sorry, are there two Alessio’s down here?”

                She glanced at me with a curious expression. “Alessio is a great guy Kate. He gave all of us a chance at a new life down here, gets us anything we ask for, always thanks us when we get his drinks or food. He never gets handsy but is always friendly.”

                “He’s not friendly to me!”

                “I find that hard to believe.”

                “He told me to shit in my hand and slap myself with it.” I said flatly.

                She turned to face me completely. “He did not!”

                “He completely did! He called me an idiot, and annoying, and told me-“ He told me he wanted me, desperately. I flushed again.

                “That doesn’t sound like Alessio at all.” She said and stood up. I took her spot on the stool and she began doing my makeup for me. “Alessio is stern sometimes, sure. But he’s not nasty. Not except to those who cross him, and if you crossed him you wouldn’t even be here. It doesn’t make any sense. I mean, if he didn’t like you he wouldn’t have hired you. He wouldn’t hire someone just to be mean to them.”

                “He didn’t hire me.” I said before realizing what I was saying. “I mean…”

                “What aren’t you telling me?”

                “Nothing.” I muttered and kept my eyes on myself in the mirror.

                “Is there like…something going on with you guys?”

                “No.”

                “How long is your contract?”

                “I’ll be here until New Years.”

                “That’s only a few months.” The suspicious tone in her voice finally caught my attention and I glanced at her. She was glaring, curiously. “He has a one year minimum.”

                “Well, I decided to call it quits early.”

                “It doesn’t work that way.”

                I closed my eyes while she started putting eye shadow on me. “Mia. I really like you. And I want to tell you but…”

                “There is something with you guys!”

                “There isn’t!” I said and snapped my eyes open, and then shut them slowly so she could continue. “I…I don’t work here Mia. Not really. I mean. I sort of…wandered in.”

                She laughed at this.

                “I’m serious. You can’t tell anyone. But I don’t belong here.”

                “Oh my God.” She gasped and I heard the sound of the eyeshadow container hit the desk. “Get up, tell me everything!”

                For some reason I did. I did trust Mia, and I owed her a lot for saving me my first night here. She did my makeup every day and we spent every night here together. She was my best friend down here. So I told her, everything.

                “I can’t believe he didn’t kill you.” She muttered. “No wonder he hates you so much.” She laughed.

                “I know.” I agreed. “And now we’re late and he’s going to hate me even more.” I groaned.

                “He’s probably not here anyway. I heard the boys talking about going to the mattresses.”

                “What’s that mean?”

                “Big war coming up.” She said simply. “I wouldn’t worry about seeing much of anyone for the next few weeks. No one big anyway.”

                For this, I was grateful. I was still feeling a little flustered at my bold, and very drunken, actions from the prior night. I had woken up alone. Alessio was already dressed to perfection in what was obviously a new suit, he even wore the fedora hat again. He must have pulled a new outfit out of his ass or gone to the store because he even had clothes for me to wear.

                My head was pounding with a violent hangover and I was really not in the best of spirits. I told him I would sleep in the car and whenever he was ready he could shoot me up with some more date rape drugs while I was still asleep so I couldn’t fight him over it again.

                When I had woken up again I was here, and in our room was a dresser and naturally in the dresser was clothes. Casual clothes, mostly jeans, t-shirts, sweat pants, and pajamas. The speed at which he managed things was frightening. Even when he did nice things like this, it was a gentle reminder of the power he had and just how quickly things could be completed with him. I suspected that if he decided he wanted to kill me my body would be disposed of in its entirety within a half hour. That if he decided I was annoying him too badly I could wake up in China. That if he really wanted to break me, in every way possible, it could be done so in seconds. So while I would enjoy the feel of actual pants over my legs when I wasn’t “working”, and I would be sure to thank Alessio when I saw him again, I took everything he did and said with a warning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE && COMMENT