Chapter Twenty-One

"I call your name as I walk alone.
Send a signal to guide me home

Light the night up, your my dark star" - Starset

------------------------------------------------------

"Katherine?"

I was sitting on my bed essentially twiddling my thumbs because I of course had really nothing to pack. Even if I did, I had no boxes or suitcases to pack them in. I'd put on a pair of sweatpants and was still wearing Alessio's shirt when he came back into my room maybe a half hour later.

"Yes?"

"Just seeing how things were going." He stuffed his hands into his pockets. "You aren't packing."

"I don't really have anything to pack."

"True. Well, did you decide where you wanted to go?"

"Just back to the old apartment I guess. My grandma's that is. "

"Alright. Just let me know when you're ready."

"Ready." As I'll ever be.

"Oh. Well. Let me go get Pietro and the sedative."

I groaned loudly. "Come on! You're really going to do this again?"

"You'll know how to find us if I don't."

"I'm not allowed to find you again?" I asked feeling a little bit slighted.

"Well, if you could then you could easily bring the police or something here before we move out...did you want to find us again?"
"I don't know. I guess. I mean I've lived with Mia for like four months and now I'm just never going to see her again? And I've sort of gotten used to some of the girls, and even the guys and even..."

"Me." He grinned.

I flushed. "I was going to say the food." I lied.

"I've sort of gotten used to you too." We locked eyes and I searched his for meaning, answers, emotions, and other things I didn't know I was looking for. "You and your mood swings, and your mental break downs, your massive rants-"

"Boy do you know how to charm them." I blurted out and he laughed.

"Don't worry Katherine." He said and took a step backwards. "I can always find you again."

I felt an insane clenching at my heart. "But will you?"

He looked surprised at this question and took another step backwards. I felt like that was my answer. "I have to go get Pietro."

"Of course." I muttered.

When he came back with Pietro I had just finished writing Mia a long letter. I didn't know if Alessio would be okay with someone else knowing about how I didn't belong down here. So I didn't touch on that subject but I did tell her how helpful she was and how much I would miss her and once she was out of this place to get in touch with me again and left her my grandma's address.

"Ready?" Pietro asked and rubbed his hands together.

I grimaced and turned around. "Hold on, just a second." I muttered and leaned over Mia's bed, I folded the letter three times and left it on her pillow. When I stood upright I felt the pinch high up on my arm. "I wasn't ready!" I gasped and whirled around to face him.

"I know." Alessio said and pulled the syringe out. He tossed it carelessly on the bed and wrapped his arms around my waist as I was starting to get dizzy already.

"That's a dirty trick!" I said bitterly.

"Katherine?" He questioned. Everything was fading. I was feeling suddenly frantic. I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to. "I will find you again."

"Promise?" Everything was starting to sound far away now. "Promise!"

"I promise."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello readers. This is a short update, and you might have noted it is incredibly early. That's the good news.

The bad news? I don't know when the next update will be. This chapter has already been typed and prepared, as have a lot of them. But I haven't gotten to write in the past two weeks much because of a project for a friend and this morning my grandfather passed.

I'm not going to try to get into details or to flood you all with my personal life when you're here simply for the book. But the likelihood of getting an update Monday as usual, or next week at all, is slim to none.

I hope you all can show a bit of understanding as my family is going through a hard time right and although writing is my passion and there are few other things I love to do more, family is the most important thing in the world and this story along with all other pieces I am working on will have to take the back burner.

Thank you for your patience, I apologize if it frustrates anyone but this is just the way it is. Please do vote and comment if you please and I'll see you all with a new update hopefully before the end of the month.