Chapter Thirty-Five

The sound of metal hitting the floor stopped everyone. "Shut her up." The boss muttered over his shoulder.

"Thought you liked it when they scream?" Someone else laughed.

"I said shut her the fuck up!" He yelled and a sweaty hand covered my mouth instantly. I kicked and squealed from under the hand and Alessio blew smoke from one side of his mouth again calmly. Again, we heard something faint like something hitting the ground. He whirled around away from Alessio and pointed the gun to me. "I said shut up! Do I have to make you shut up?"

Both my feet hit the floor and I glared, suddenly mute.

Everyone was quiet again, painstakingly. The seconds went by, I had no idea what he was waiting for but with every second he waited it was another second Alessio and I were both still alive. Nearly half a minute went by, I glanced to the silent man standing beside the Don and watched a bead of sweat run down his forehead.

One more time, we heard a clank of something hitting the ground. "There!" The Don proclaimed.

"What is that?" Someone else demanded and all at once there was a loud hissing and smoke started filling the room. In seconds everyone was coughing. The Don swung back around to face Alessio furiously with the gun aimed to him.

Light suddenly flooded the room as a large loading door began opening. Alessio spit his cigar out and shifted hard to the side causing his chair to topple onto the ground.

The smoke wrapped around us completely and I could see nothing anymore. My eyes were burning, my throat constricting and I could hear nothing but gun fire.

Arms were still around my waist, I bit down hard and stomped harder on broken nose's foot and his arms shot away from me.

I hit the ground and fell into a fit of coughing, my eyes were watering badly, whatever was in this smoke was awful. I coughed and started to crawl as best as someone with her wrists tied together could. I felt like I might have even looked like an inch worm pushing forward. I needed to get back to Alessio. He was smack dab in the center of this and likely had the title of enemy number one.

Rough hands found my arm and rolled me onto my back. I screamed and something was being forced over my face. I kicked and hit with my hands still together at whoever it was until a puff of breath air filled my lungs. I gasped and for a moment was too shocked to fight my attacker, in that moment I realized what was being held over my face and took it greedily.

A gas mask? Someone was giving me a gas mask. I still had no clue who this person was. Whether it was a friend or foe. It was too cloudy for me to make anything out. Even with the mask I coughed a few more times.

"Keep your head down." The person instructed me and I nodded into the foggy room. A cold blade brushed against my wrists and moments later my hands were freed. He pulled me with one hand to my feet and into his body. His hand remained over my head and I could tell by just how loud the gun shots were that he was firing only inches away from my head as we walked backwards through the room.

We walked backwards for so far through the room and he suddenly burst into a run, half dragging me along with him.

I was greeted with brightness suddenly. It took a few moments to adjust to the light as I was dragged away from the mayhem. I was released completely, that was a good sign, I took a few more staggered steps forward before pulling my mask off.

I looked around first, blue skies, singing birds, closed down factory only a few feet in front of me.

"Stay here." My savior instructed me with his voice coming out strange and frightening through the gas mask. I glanced to his gun, it wasn't one of ours and then back up to his hair and then finally his eyes.