Chapter Forty-Seven

"Did you ever realize," Nash started as he scooped up a bit of sushi with his chopsticks. "They have all these ethnic food places. Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mexican, if you look hard enough you can even find a fancy pantsy French place. But you never come across a Danish or Irish place. I mean, what's up with that? Or like Turkey, with a name like Turkey you would think they have good food. Right? Why don't we have any Turkish restaurants around here? What? They don't eat."

I was admittedly a little flustered and a little annoyed. First, I hated sushi. Hated was not strong enough a word to describe the feelings I had towards it. And in front of me I had a bowl of squid. Literally, there was squid. In a bowl. In front of me. And I was expected to eat it.

And secondly, Nash had supposedly asked me to meet with him to discuss business matters. All he had done so far was ramble on about useless information and small talk. Cool, peanuts were an ingredient in dynamite; that affected my life how?

"Nash." I groaned. "I'm seriously losing patience. You either need to tell me whatever you need to tell me, or you need to go back to the story and further explain what you almost did with a tampon and how again they convinced you that was normal."

Nash laughed. "No, no, no. I refuse to relive that trauma."

His smile was contagious. So even though I was looking at a bowl of squid, and I knew in a few minutes he would be trying to convince me to betray Alessio who had saved my life on numerous occasions now, I granted him a small smile.

"Okay." He said popping another bite into his mouth. He held up a finger to tell me to hold on while he chewed the bite. I waited impatiently while he seemed to chew and chew and chew. He finally swallowed and wiped his mouth off with a napkin. "I want you to help me."

"You already told me that much and I already told you my answer."

"Listen Kate. You can either be friend of the police, or enemy. Right now, you're the enemy."

"I'm not the enemy. My dad is a cop. My uncle is a cop. I always cooperate, my footage has helped put people away before."

"Exactly!" He clapped his hands together. "Your footage has put people behind bars before. It could do it again easily! That's all we're asking!"

"I don't have any discriminating footage of anyone I haven't already shared."

"That, I don't believe."

I did. But not anymore. I chewed the inside of my cheek and we sat in silence. Nash appeared to feel completely comfortable but I was twiddling my thumbs.

"Your father is a cop Kate."

"I know."

"Would you feel the same way for Alessio if your father was his next victim?"

"That wouldn't happen." I said quickly.

"You've never even considered the possibility have you?" He asked and I didn't answer. "Didn't think so. So your brother, how old was he when he died?"

"Alright."

"And your cousin, John. He wasn't even twenty yet, was he?"

"I believe you already know the answer to that."

"The most recent one, what was his name again? Nicolas?"

"Nicolo." I said sharply. "But you knew that already too."

"I'm really not trying to upset you Kate. He's just got his hands around you so tightly, I'm afraid you aren't thinking clearly. He's a criminal Kate. A killer. His warfare has cost so many lives. Kids get tied up in it young and when they grow up, smarten up, want to straighten up, they're trapped. They ruin lives Kate."