Chapter Thirty-Four

"How long have I been here?" I asked the man by the door.

He didn't answer, didn't look to me. He was like a statue permanently mounted to the floor. Maybe he didn't speak English? Maybe he was just an asshole.

I desperately wished there was a clock in the room. My head wasn't hurting quite as badly now but my wrists were getting pretty sore and my arms were stiff from being in the same position for so long.

I shifted uncomfortably. It had been at least a half hour since Matteo had left and as time ticked on I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. If Alessio had people coming they would have stormed the building by now. If he got away he'd have no idea I was even here. I wasn't sure which thought was worse.

The door swung open and crashed into the wall behind it. A different man stomped heavy into the room holding a gun identical to my babysitter. He leaned his against the wall and began walking towards me. He wasn't much to look at, and when I say that I mean he was remarkably short but even still the smirk on his face sent my guard up immediately.

"Viene qua." He said and started approaching me. I lifted both feet from the ground and kicked at him. "Aiutami!" He yelled over his shoulder to the one who had been in the room with me the entire time.

(Come here) (Help me)

"Bastard." I grunted flailing my legs around. He caught both of my ankles, but not before I got a few good kicks in. In rare instances like this I wished that I hadn't sworn off heels or I could actually have done some damage here.

I pulled and wiggled enough that I managed to slip one of my feet out of his grip, losing my shoe in the process I got one good kick in to his nose. He let go abruptly and stumbled backwards holding his bloody face in hand.

"Figlo di putana! Ha rotto il naso!" He yelled loudly.

(Son of a bitch! She broke my nose!)

"That's right you dirty fu-" I'd just started sprouting off what I had prepared to be a long string of curse words and bragging when I felt the cold metal of a gun pressed straight to my temple. The one who had been watching me this entire time had apparently had enough of my games for the day.

"Ne ho fin sopra i capelli!" He yelled and pushed the gun harder against my temple. I whimpered and he let out a cold laugh. "Smettere di piagngere!" He yelled to the other. "Sciogliere il suo."

(Ne ho fin sopra i capelli=I've had it up to here. Smettere di piagngere= Quit crying. Sciogliere il suo = untie her)

Hey, at least I knew he wasn't a mute or something like that.

The other lowered his hand from his bloodied nose, still muttering what I could only assume to earnest death threats. He approached me and I squeezed my eyes shut. A few moments went by without me getting attacked before I opened my eyes again and watched him fiddling with the rope. He finally detached it from the bar above my head and gave me a sharp tug forward. My wrists were still bound together and there was just a bit of excess rope that he dragged me along by. Needless to say I felt like a dog.

They weren't going to catch me with my tail between my legs though. "You're hardly even bleeding you big baby." I sneered to the one who was pulling me along.

They dragged me along in silence. I didn't fight them much as they walked me, partly because of the gun pressed against my back, and also my wrists were already raw from the scratchy rope. I was so wrong about the rope being better than chains. At least I had my arms down again.

It was only a short walk through the old warehouse before we came into a bigger room. My eyes were immediately drawn to the center of the room.

"Alessio!" I yelled and out of instinct ran to him.