Chapter 2: Glimpse

-20 years later-

Cara's POV

Scrub here. Scrub there.

Whoops I miss a spot.

I scrub again.

I glance on my side and I can see I still have 4 cubicles left to clean in this  restroom.

I still have 30 minutes to finish this then I have my first break.

After scrubbing all the toilet bowls, mopping and disinfecting all the surfaces of this restroom I return all my things in the maintenance closet and goes down to the cafeteria to claim my free breakfast.

I am working at Bradford Corp for a year already. Yes I am a cleaner and I am proud of it. At least I am not doing any crime to support myself.

This job is decent. I got a salary that is enough to support me monthly. We got a nice insurance and this company gave free snacks and lunch to all maintenance and security workers which is neat.

I am not living in an apartment. I am not that dumb and it will drain my savings instead I bed space. It is much cheaper. Since I don't know how to cook I always buy my food in one of those food truck that is spread out around the city.

As I munch on my sandwich I grasp the necklace on my neck.
I wonder How is he? We've known each other for less than a year but I hope he still remembers me. I regret that we did not even have a proper goodbye that day.

When my mom did not came back that day a social worker brought me to their custody and after a few days they put me in a foster home. I ask them why other people is taking care of me instead of my mom but they just ignore my questions and told me to behave.

I was passed around until I became 18 years old. I only have a backpack that contains all my things that I have gathered since I was young and a thousand dollars that I have saved.

I realize early on that Highschool diploma means shit. All of them wants a degree of some kind. So I bounce to different low paying jobs until I am accepted as a cleaner here in this company.

It's really true Beggars can't be choosers.

I finish my ham and cheese sandwich and a cup of water. I went back to the maintenance department which is the 25th floor and check the bulletin board on where am I assigned next.

I look at my name on the list

Cara Rossi
🧹clean restrooms - 2nd floor and 4th floor

Break

🧹wiped and disinfect the furnitures in the lounge area.
🧹refill the snackbar for the IT department.

-Lunch-

🧹Refill all the papers on all the photocopiers floor 5 to 10
🧹sweep and polish the floor and furnitures in the Executives floor

-nothing follows-

So it seems I still have 5 more task for today. Refilling papers is a pain in the ass because sometime 6 out of 10 photocopier in each floor has paper jams. These employees are so lazy.
They are the one who jammed the machine but they just leave it like that and then transfer to another machine.

I bring my cleaning cart and drag it to the 10th floor A.K.A the lounge area of Bradford corp. Employees are allowed to have 30 minutes break and they always go this floor to unwind.
There are various arcade machine that is scattered around the floor.
As instructed I wipe with disenfectant all the couch and tables all around the room. I even refill the santizers besides all gaming machines.

I next went to the IT deprartment and list on what snacks or drinks they are lacking. This people consumes coffee like it is water. 100 sticks of instant coffee and 20 boxes of Nespresso box did not even last a day. I am sure some of them are taking it home.
I refill the energy bars and granola bars. I organize the various biscuits and breads on the shelf. Different varieties of Cup noddles are also restocked.

I feel like I am restocking for a supermarket not a snackbar.

If an employees wants another brand of biscuit or food in the snackbar they need to send a request and if it is approved the depratment will vote which of their current snacks will be replaced.

Mr. Bradford is a fair employer but he is so damn scary. He hates mistakes. If we are late it will be deducted to our salary. I did not even see the guy personally but I heard that whenever he passby employees shut up immediately and just stare at him.

I heard some of the staff gossiping about him. According to them he is very anti-social. He doesn't talk much and if he does talk he is mad.

And the latest gossip is how handsome he is. If the majority of the employees male and female alike tell that he is handsome then maybe he is truly is handsome.

For lunch I chose the beef curry and rice and a can of coke.

I sat down on one of the empty table at the corner. No one sits on this area because it has only 2 chairs and it is in a corner. Even if I dance on top of the table no one can see me.

After I finish my lunch I grudgingly go back to the 25th floor and grab another cart full of A4 paper.

This is what I hate about this task. The ink on the copier always stains my clothes, face and nails. Removing jammed paper took up so much time.
After refilling all the machines on 5 floors I look like a mechanic on all the ink smeared on my face and body.

I have no time to clean myself. I need to go up to the last floor to to clean the whole area.

I exchange the paper cart to my cleaning supplies cart and zooms up to the executive floor.

I smile at the receptionist there and told her to give me a minute to wipe her area and computers. One by one I clean the tables, chairs on the waiting areas and vonference room.

This floor has only 3 rooms the CEO's room which is the biggest then the PA's and finally the conference room. I clean the room of the PA. I knock on her door and she just nodded so I starts to clean her room. I carefully clean her desk because I don't want to damage some important papers.

I ask her if she can step out for a minute so I can vaccum her space. Thankfully she said that they will have a meeting at the conference room so I have time to clean the CEO's room.

As soon as I confirmed that the Mr. Bradford's office is empty I meticulously clean his office. No speck of dust in sight I went out of his office.
If Mr. Bradford found me in his office I'll be in trouble.

Dragging my cart behind me I went towards the elevator. When the elevator door is closing I made eye contact with a giant male wearing a black suit and gasp.

Hazel and green eyes.

Pretty eyes.