Chapter 25: Trust

Chaeyoung

I fluttered my eyes, while slowly opening them, Hyun's worried face caught my sight. She sighed in relief and started loading the syringe. She injected the colorless liquid into the IV tube at my wrist. It pierced my veins and I felt a tingling sensation as the dose coursed through, "You missed this month's Eptinezumab injection." She said with a warning tone, pulling out the needle. That was true, I had been too preoccupied that it completely slipped my mind. I flitted my eyes around the place, I was laying in my bedroom. Thank God, she didn't admit me to the hospital. She was well aware of how much I hated going there. Hated the bleached, antiseptic smells that vaguely masked the odor of vomit and blood and bodily fluids. I remembered it clearly, how I'd spent countless hours inside sparse, sterile rooms with tubes attached to my weak body. It was hell.

"How are you feeling?" Hyun asked, cutting my ruminating thoughts.

"Not so good. What happened?" As I talked, I could feel pain all over. My head was bursting. My whole body was writhing in pain. I tried to sit up, only to find myself too weak and dizzy for more than a token attempt. I did however managed to keep my eyes open, half-lidded.

"Might be Aura. This is rare, usually you experienced typical symptoms such as visual disturbance, dizziness and vertigo. You have never lost consciousness because of it before."

Aura. It was the result of a wave of nerve activity that spreads over the brain. As this electrical wave spreads, the nerves fire in an abnormal way and this range of reversible neurological symptoms (aura) develop. Around a quarter of people with migraines have aura, including me. It's a hassle, a big hassle. "How long have I been out?" I asked.

"An hour and a half" She glanced to her wristwatch. "I'm glad your body is accepting the supplement. It's a special brew I made" She said, pertaining to the IV drip stuck in my arms. I'd once suffered an allergic reaction from the fluids. Since then Hyun had been extremely careful.

She clutched her clipboard and scanned through it, "I've prescribed you with a new set of medicines with additional anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea medication for further relief, you are running out. Take it on time. If you forget and go a whole day without taking a dose, don't try to make it up by adding another dose on the following day. Forget about the missed dose and simply follow your normal schedule. Remember, Emgality shot every three months."

I gave a subtle nod. She looked at me, putting the clipboard on her lap, "Are they any changes in your symptoms lately?"

There was. I wasn't sure when it all started but it has definitely gotten worse. I concluded, it was because of the increasing pressure and overwhelming workload, "I have persistent pain, new headaches that I'm not used to. Over-the-counter pain medicines don’t help at all."

She nodded, "Visit the hospital tomorrow, we'll do a throughout checkup and evaluate your conditions"

I immediately regretted it. She definitely would have asked that, I should have known better before spurting the truth without thinking. Not the hospital. Just picturing it made me nauseated plus my situation was opposing the idea. There were far better things to do, "I don't have time to waste. The marriage ceremony is around the corner along with the successor formality's project. Just give me painkiller. It's nothing but headache. You diagnosed me with migraines. And migraines happened frequently"

"I would if only painkillers are good for you. You are aware of the side effects. And that diagnosis is three years ago. I'd told you that the migraine might be a sign of chronic diseases. That you should do a frequent checkup. Never once you ever stop by my office. You better come or I'll break your limbs" She grated in a voice laced with threatening menace.