Chapter 18: Succesor Formality

Chaeyoung

Monday morning, Mina's eyes bore into mine in disbelief. She looked at me as if I had two heads. "We're doing what?"

I sighed, closing the folder I had revise and placing it on the counter. "I didn’t want to appear too eager, so I told Mrs Eri you and I had an errand to run this morning. She assumed it was to go get a marriage licenseand I never corrected her."

She picked up our plates and carried them to the sink. I had to admit she was a damned good cook. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten breakfast at home that didn't come out of a box. She went to the mall yesterday for an 'errand' and when she returned, it took two trips with me helping to bring up all the groceries she bought.

I had thought she was crazybut I was having second thoughts. Dinner last night had been some kind of delicious chicken and her scrambled eggs today were stellar. So had her coffee, fully approved of the purchase of the new coffee maker. She slumped against the sink, scrubbing her face, "You can let her think it, but we don’t have to do it."

I shook my head. "Nope. We’re doing it. I want a paper trail. We don’t have to get married, just have the license." I lifted a signed up check I had written off the table. "Consider it a fair trade for my donation." I arched my eyebrow at her, "My very generous donation." Pertaining to the fund for God Littest Angle she mentioned I did in our first meeting with the Hirai. It wasn't really a huge deal for me but I could use it to my advantages.

She had the grace to look embarrassed. "I told you, I had no idea what someone in your financial bracket would consider generous. When Hana was talking about it, one of the other women was a little catty and said she wouldn’t consider anything under a thousand generous." She shrugged. "Before I realized what I was saying, I had blurted out you had donated seven thousand. It certainly shut her up."

"I bet it did. And it's fine. Except, you owe me, so, we'll get one real-fake marriage license." This is business after all. There had to be give and take, mutual concessions and compromises.

She dumped her coffee in the sink. "Fine. I'll go get ready" She stomped past me and because she made me want to make her angry, I grabbed her wrist, dragging her to my lap. She gasped, pushing me awayand I laughed at her ineffectual struggle. "Want me to come scrub your back? I'll make another donation to God Littlest Angel" I smirked mischievously.

She elbowed me in the ribs, making me lose my gripand she stumbled to her feet. Not forgetting her iconic monster crab-like pinch. I hissed and rubbed my arm, her pinch was surprisingly painful. She sent a quick glare, "Be careful, Chaeyoungor I'll take you with me to the shelter and have you neutered!" I burst out laughing at her indignation, letting her marched away muttering under her breath. I had no idea why I enjoyed her outrage—but I did.

*    *    *    *

The elevator opened directly into a private office. I could see Mrs Eri behind the glass wall working on paper with her glasses on. I fixed my brown vast and wore my blazer that hung on my arm, proper grooming and a professional appearance were important. It determined your outlook, attitudes, motivation, actions and create a good impression. The assistant informed her upon my arrival. Mrs Eri smiled and shook my hand, offering me a seat at her private conference table. Her officelike the rest of the buildingwas one of understated wealth. The furniture was the best quality, the artwork tasteful and elegant. More awards and small versions of winning campaigns filled the shelves that took up an entire wall.