Chapter 60: A Price to be Paid

Jeongyeon.

Shanghai, China

Immortal China Editing Team Department

The air crackled with tension as the argument reached its boiling point, we both unwilling to concede even an inch. "Playing it safe won't get us anywhere," I insisted, "We need to think outside the box if we want to make an impact."

She folded her arms across her chest, her expression unyielding. "And what exactly do you propose? That we abandon our principles and chase after fleeting trends?" she shot back, her tone sharp with irritation.

I shook my head, frustrated  "No, I'm suggesting that we evolve, that we adapt to the changing landscape of the industry," I replied, my voice rising. "We need to embrace innovation if we want to stay ahead of the curve."

"And look at what you did, you wasted  days. We've been over this a dozen times. "she snapped, "We cant  keep revising the designs every time you change your mind. You need to stick to a plan if we want any chance of meeting the deadline."

"I'm just trying to ensure that the issues  meet the consumer standards and expectations. We can't afford to settle for anything less." I refuted, "That's exactly why Immortal China lose to The One since it refused to accept changes,"

Her expression remained composed, but there was a hint of defensiveness in her tone as she responded, "You cannot make an innovation with the limited time given. Besides, there's no guarantee it will succeed. We need to trust the original vision and sharpen it and use it as our base. Otherwise, we'll never get this project off the ground." She argued.

"We need to challenge ourselves if we want to stay relevant in this industry. That's the only way,"

"And I suppose your way is the only way, Ms Yoo?" She glared.

"Yes." I towered over her, "My way is the only way, Ms Im. You are here to assist me, not to order me around,"

"You will fail,"

"If that means making adjustments along the way, then so be it,"

"Are you dumb?!" She yelled.

"You're just afraid of taking risks, Nayeon!" I bursted out.

"And you're being reckless and short-sighted, Jeongyeon!" She shot back, her voice dripping with disdain.

"Why are you so scared to break out of your comfortable shell? How much longer are you going to stay knowing that it won't work any way?" I whispered, loud enough for her to hear me.

She met my gaze. A silent exchange and we knew, the conversation was no longer regarding the spring issues but had drifted into something more personal. There were no words spoken but she knew, and I knew, "You don't know anything," she said through gritted teeth.