Chapter 31: Family, Dinner and Affair

Nayeon

"I thought you already did, baby"

She didn't reply and remained quiet for some time. I released my hold and stared at her. Her face flushed red, her teeth clenched and her jaw tightened. She seemed like she wanted to say something, but couldn't. What could she say? It was the truth. I snickered and lightly drew a slander fingertip along her jawline and lifted her gaze to meet mine, "Well? Cat got your tongue?"

She opened her mouth as if she wanted to say something but closed it again just as the doorbell rang out front. I groaned and looked past her towards the door. Who could that be? I wasn't up for another company tonight. I didn't intend to let whoever that was in but the bell kept ringing. Giving in, I dragged myself off the stairs and went over to the intercom near the door, grumbling  along the way. I'm aware of the quickening footsteps behind as she followed me. We both looked through the intercom. There was a sharp pang of a headache once I saw who was outside, looking extremely furious by her expression, "Great. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse" I sighed. This wasn't going to end well.

"Isn't that---Mrs-----?" Jeongyeon trailed off her words, looking at me curiously. I grabbed her shirt collar, pulled her into my bedroom, "Wha--what are you doing?" She tapped my arm while barely managing herself from tumbling down.

I pushed her inside, "Don't come out until I say so. Stay here" She looked genuinely confused but I had no time for that. I closed the door and breathed in deeply. It had been years. I knew we would meet again. I knew she was coming. And I knew, she wasn't here for me. My hand started to tremble. I clasped them together to still their involuntary shaking. It would pass. This meeting would happen eventually. I had expected it. There was nothing to be nervous about. Perhaps, perhaps, she missed me, even just a little bit. One could hope, even for the smallest chance.

I let the woman in. As soon as the front door opened, she lunged towards me, "Mothe---" My words hang in the air as she smacked me across the face. I stared at her for a moment, stunned. "What do you think you are do----" Again, she slapped me. This time, I felt her nails dig into my cheeks like a fishhook. When little lights stopped flashing in front of my eyes, I reached out and dabbed at the wetness I felt on my lips. Blood. The slap stung like a million bees but bruised my ego much more sharply. That was to be expected but never accepted.

As I slowly recovered from the temporary ringing in my ears, she raised her hand again. I caught her wrist  inches from my cheek and gripped it tight, "We haven't met for 12 years and the first thing you did is to slap me?"

She shoved my hand away, "Are you trying to ruin Rachel's dream? How dare you interfere with her performance?! Stop having that pathetic jealously towards your little sister's success!" Her anger escalated, and her veins popped out. She was truly enraged. I was right after all. That was it all about.