Chapter 28: Rain In The Drought

Jeongyeon

She wasn't here. It had been weeks. She never stay a night in this place. It would be safe to say I had this whole mansion for myself. Her stuff was placed in her bedroom only for decoration. We would be together if there was an event that required both of us to play our role. Eventhough we were engaged, everyone knew it was for business purposes, business transaction from both side. It was a professional relationship, partnership between two company. We were given a year long engagement period practice before the marriage. We both refused the idea of arranged marriage and made a deal to break off the engagement once the successor formality's project come to an end. After all, the main reason for the engagement was because of the succession  planning. She stood as a symbolism, a mark, a force to increase my influence and power.

The marriage between Chaeyoung and Mina became the headline of many articles. Even if I wanted to escape, the news was everywhere. Mina was a lovely woman. She was kind and smart. It was painful to see her in someone else's arms but the fact that, that someone else was Chaeyoung, bothered me. I was worried. I trusted Mina. Someone as great as her would have picked a suitable and dependable partner for herself. I trusted her judgment but at the same time, I didn't believe in Chaeyoung. She was everything negative, the exact opposite of Mina. I'd seen how she treated her as a personal assistant, how Mina came to me and expressed her feelings of being mistreated by her vile boss. It was hard to accept that I lost the woman whom I love to someone like her. Difficult for me to entrust Mina to her.

I knew Chaeyoung. Her eyes spoke volume of her agenda and ulterior motive. She wasn't capable of loving anyone, even if she did it couldn't be Mina, the personal assistant she despised for years. Her ego would never let that happened. And it made me even more confused about this overall situation. It was clear to me, she would only hurt her but why did Mina agreed? It had been plaguing my mind and the concern I had towards Mina increased as time passed. I believed she had her reason. And I had no right to doubt it. It was her choice. I could only wish all the best for her, in anything.

It was customary to give gifts for newlyweds. Putting my feelings aside, I truly wanted to congratulate Mina.
Chaeyoung collected wine, thus I ordered Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Beerenauslese to add at her wine cellar. For Mina, I bought her a white koala plush toy. She appreciated little things and disliked extravagance in all ways. I noticed, she had been eyeing this plushie when she still worked under the Son Group. The store was just across the building. I thought she would buy it but she never did.

Slowly the light dawned and the shades of night passed away but the light was yet dim and the horizon misty. I set off to meet them in the early hours since my schedule was packed today. As I moved further into the residence, the roads narrowed and the houses grew further apart. Chaeyoung lived quite far from the central city. Out of the hedge-lined driveway, a cyclists appeared at the middle of the street, blocking my path. I followed closely behind but it almost seemed like the cyclist purposely moved at a turtle pace. There was a watermelon at her basket. I horned and peeked my head outside the window, "Excuse me, would you mind moving aside? The road is too narrow, I'm sorry"