Chapter 26: Garden

Chaeyoung

A week had passed since the day we misunderstood each other and me doing something I'd never thought I would just because of my own stupid dare. I danced, for her and she seemed to enjoy it. She laughed. A burst of laughter that I'd never heard coming from her. It was nice. Hearing her laughed and it was even nicer that I was the reason. When I'd recovered from the aura attack, she turned to her usual self. Elegant and demure, that angry bird that I'd encountered the other day was gone. However, she managed to make her point. I shouldn't take her lightly. She could fight, and she would if she needed to. She was wise and reminded me of how well she grasped the situation and how aware she was of her importance. She was indeed a dangerous woman.

I took Hyun's advice and gathered my thoughts. The whole week, I forced myself to accept that Mina was my partner, that she was equally valuable and significant to my plan. Without her, without her help, I wouldn't be here. I knew exactly what was wrong with me and I had to suppress that feeling. That immense desire to have power over anything, over anyone. This desire and superiority complex of mine was failing everything. I had to restrain. I had to let her in. She was doing so well. I had lots of things that I should be thankful for.

On Tuesday evening, I waited for her in the living room, pacing and fidgeting with the bow wrapped around my waist. I turned the television off, shutting my favorite song, baby shark for a moment. I couldn't concentrate. Damn thing wouldn't lay flat no matter what I did as if I had forgotten how to tie a proper knot. It wasn't as though I was nervous. I had nothing to be nervous about. Mina and I were simply going to say a few words, sign a piece of paperand be done with the formality of marriage. It was another layer in my plans. Simple. It meant nothing. I yanked at the silk again. Why wouldn't this fucking tie lay flat?

"Keep pulling it like that and there won't be any material left, Chaeyoung. What did that tie ever do to you?"

I glanced up, startled. Mina leaned against the wall, looking equally as nervous however, much prettier. She was wearing a simplewhite dress that hugged her narrow waist. The bottom was flared out and had ruffles in the shape of a fish cut as those of a mermaid's attire. She looked like a mermaid in her dress. The top was lacy and showed off her slender neck and arms. Her hair was pinned backhanging to one side in a cascade of curls. The champagne hue of her dress accented her coloring.

 The champagne hue of her dress accented her coloring

"Oh wow, you just mermaid my day" I joked. She scoffed and walked towards me. I looked down, grinning at her shoes-small with a tiny heelthey were perfect. I had gotten used to the way she fit under my arm, and nowI didn't want her any taller. It was enough that she was taller than me. I approached her, lifting her hand, kissing it, "You look lovely"

She lowered her eyes, then straightened her shoulders. "Thank you."

"No. Thank you"