Chapter 13: Gamble

Mina

I had trouble sleeping again, so I tiptoed down the hall, pushing open Chaeyoung's door. Tonightshe was on her stomach, one arm wrapped around her pillow, the other one hanging off the edge of her massive bed. She was still snoring---her low, raspy hum I needed to hear. I studied her face in the dim light. I traced my lips with my finger, still shocked at the fact she had kissed me, held me in her armsand we danced. I knew it was all part of her grand scheme but there were momentsglimpses of a different woman than I was used to seeing. The flash of her dimpled smile, a twinkle in her eye, even a kind word---they had all caught me offguard tonight.

I wished she allowed that part of herself out more, but she kept her emotions---the positive ones---locked away. I had already figured that out. I knew if I said anything,she would lock herself down even more. SoI remained silent---at least for now. I had to admit thoughkissing her hadn't been bad at all. Considering the venom her mouth could produce, her lips were softwarmand fullwhile her touch was gentle.

She groaned and rolled overtaking the blankets with her. Her longlean torso now exposed. I swallowed partially in guilt for staring at herpartially in wonder. She was a beautiful woman---at least on the outside. She muttered something incoherentand I moved back, leaving the door ajarscuttling back to my own room. She might have been a little more pleasant at times this eveningbut I doubted she would react well to me staring at her while
sleeping.

Early in the morning, I left the villa and went to visit Sana. She was wideawake and in a good mood.

She smiled at me,tweaked my nose, and we talked and laughed until she fell asleep. I drank my plain water while she nappedlooking at some of the little pieces she'd been drawing and colouring. I was beyond grateful to know there was a huge improvement in her minimal conscious state after years being in a vegetative state and I was so proud of her. I chose one, I liked in particular of some wild colourful mushrooms and was admiring it when she stirred. She watched me, then holding out her hand for the paper, "I like this one." I smiled, revealing my gummy. "It reminds me of when we'd hike the mountains looking for mushrooms." She nodded.

"You can have it, little penguin " She reached out while I leaned forward and she softly caressed my cheeks. "Do you still dance?"

I blinked. Taken aback by the question. I forced a bright smile and shook my head. "Nope. I lost interest in it already. I'm happy with my work." I shrugged, playing with the hem of my shirt. I couldn't look at her in the eye.

"You wanted to be a ballerina. That's your dream. Are you giving up because of me?"

I raised my chin, staring at her, "Sana please" I pleaded "It has nothing to do with you. I don't like dancing anymore, and that just my dream when I was a child, I even forgot about it already" This time, I held her gaze, trying to look convincing enough. I felt relief when she let go of the topic with a heavy sigh.