Chapter 20: Side Character

Chaeyoung

I went through the paperwork carefully the next day. The offer was good, the source was handful. The one thing nagging me was the five--month probationary period. Three months was the norm, it was longer than usual. I got up, pacing the floorand ended up staring out the window at the city below far ahead. I liked it here, it was silent and less human compared to the busy city. There was a waterfall if you were to walk deeper into the mountain behind this villa. I used to go there sometimes, it was calming as I dipped myself under the waterfalls. I liked water, I'm not sure why. A knock interrupted my thoughts and I turned my head. Mina was at the door, a glass of orange juice in her hands. "I thought you'd like this."

I accepted the glass, taking a sip. “Thank you."

She glanced to the paperwork, "Did you go through the paperwork?" I sat down, indicating she should also. I nodded to her question, frowning when she had that penguin-dulled-sickening face again. "You don't look happy" she added.

"No, it's fine. But the probation period is bothering me. It's longer than usual. I think Mrs Eri is not convinced yet at our relationship. The probationary period is meant to provide employers with sufficient time to evaluate and review their new employees' performance before confirming them as permanent staff. They'll be eyeing me and my work for five months before the Hirai will begin with the successor formality project. It's too long" I explained, massaging my temple as I sank into the armchair.

She sighed, "What are you planning to do?"

I stared at her, "Set a date"

"Are you sure Mrs Eri is watching you? I don't think she would accept you inside the Hirai if she thought you are playing a game."

"I know but, my gut tells me I need----we need to move forwards" I inhaled a big lump of air, "Our original contract will be terminated after a period of six months. During that time, I doubt the successor formality's project has even started yet. There's a long way to go. We need to rewrite the contract and come with a new agreement. You can name your terms, Mina. You have me under your grips. My life is completely under your control now"

She studied me for a moment. I waited to see what she would say. What huge dollar amount and demands she would lay on the table. I could afford it, but I was still curious. She retraced a design on the top of my desk, not saying a word. "If I agree to marry you" She began, "You want at least a year?"

"Yes, maybe nine months" I stated, her eyes widened and I hastily added, "Worst possibility, could be two years, with a minimum of one year. I'll reach to my lawyer and we can have these changes written down on paper"

She bit her lower lips, a complex look crossing her face. "There are things I want."

I scoffed, "I'm not surprised. You know you hold the upper hand right now."

"Umm, can I have a bigger tent for Ray"

"Buy it"

"You put restriction for him to roam around the house freely without leaches, can I have the restriction scratches out of our original rules"

I rolled my eyes, "He's been doing it as if he owns the house. Whatever, just make sure he's away from me"

"A flower vase near the hallway to the dance studio will be great"

I narrowed my eyes at her, frustrated to the fact that she made it difficult and played around her words. There must be something more valuable that she truly desired. "Alright, done with all of that little shit. What do you really want?" I arched my brows, "Quater of my fortune? This house? A building complex?"