Chapter 30: Checkmate

Nayeon

I shifted in my seat and glanced around the place. It was a small dimly lit restaurant. Ten white tables spread our from where we sat in the center. The only other people in the room was a woman and teenagers sitting on the far corner, peeling a basket of garlic quietly. Everything was old and unhygienic, looking at the layers of grease from the grill. It was all concrete and bricks, dirty, smelly, with three trash dumpsters lined up outside the restaurant.

I diverted my gaze back to the man across me. He was unshaven, wore a rumpled white shirt, and his hair was disheveled. He didn't look like he had more than five dollars in his pocket. I stared at the way his collar were creased and bent over on the tips. When he noticed I was looking, he immediately straightened his clothes, "I'm sorry" He smiled and bowed.

I sighed, shaking my head, "Don't worry about it"

"But I made you come to such a humble place. I did tell Jeong to bring you with her and eat here sometime. I didn't expect you to visit so soon. I didn't prepare anything. If you can some other time, I will treat you properly"

It wasn't my intention to waste time here for a chit chat nor to bond with her family. However, I was held responsible for her action because of our relationship's status.  She was indeed adding more to my works. I sighed inwardly, "It's okay. I understand you heard everything from Jeongyeon?"

"Yes, I didn't have much to say. I'd rather go to jail than to cause you trouble"

Those who had committed a crime should be arrested. That was just right and he should be charged for what he had done. That was just fair. Nothing can rationalized his action. He did wrong and he was reckless to be fooled and involved in this whole mess. That was what I thought. Yet here I was, doing exactly the opposite. At some point, I was doubting if this was right. Either way, it didn't really matter to me nor was it important. I'd come this far, they were no turning back anymore. This matter should just be buried and forgotten, "Right. I should have let you locked behind bars. I'll take care of this matter but things like this should never happen again"

"Of course, thank you, thank you" He repeatedly whispered his thanks with his head bowed down.

"There's no need to thank me. I just did what I had to" Indeed for the best of all. I recalled the penalty from disciplinary board had given him, "You will be suspended for three months and have your salary reduced a year"

He nodded, smiling, "That's good enough for me. Thank you so much"

Your gratitude wouldn't make anything better neither apology. Changes, I needed changes and wished that he had learned his lesson. If he keeps creating problem and mistakes, it would only worsen the internal conflict inside the Son Group and I was also going to be dragged into this mess, again. I was already trapped and didn't have any other choice but to get involved in their family affair. Which was the worst. Maybe this man wasn't that hopeless, "Promise me one thing"