Chapter 9: Sweetheart

Mina

Upon waking, I burrowed myself into the warm, silky sheets. The puffy feather mattress and a pyramid of cotton pillows felt truly different than the cheap futon I usually used. Though, I still preferred the futon for its familiarity. I blinked and gazed out at the horizon; its vivid light extended across a rosy sky. The curtains were drawn showing a sliding window wall. I didn't notice it last night. I stretched my arms and walked towards it, slid the window open that reveals a balcony. Raising my head, it seemed that the dawn had come. I could hear the sound of birds chirping, flit from branch to branch. The air smells of woods and earthy. It was refreshing.

Compared to my morning in the apartment I used to live, I was greeted by factory noise, engines, processors and other manufacturing equipment. While the air filled with the bad smell from the trash dumps and sewage. I'd complained a few times but who would want to hear the voice of a woman that even struggle to pay her rent. It would be nice if the authority could work out that place since I personally love how artsy the area was.

When the sun rose, you could see art galleries scattered around each neighbourhood and streets lined with street art. The building design was old-fashioned but it looked astonishingly antique and decorated with flowers and bushes. Most of the residence was a street artist, street performer, street musicians. They either a poor young aged artist with big dreams, those rich kids who were chased out from their house because of their ambition and sexuality against their family, the orphan who used their hobby as a part-time to pay their expenses, a failed musicians, retired gangsters. While, there was me who tried to fit myself inside the community.

Thankfully, they accepted me. They were not harsh towards newcomers but welcomed them with a warm approach and hugs. Every Sunday, we would have a small meeting where all of them would perform together, having fun. I could only go back to dancing because of their encouragement. The would teach me how to do art graffiti, play music while the gangster offered to teach me how to use a gun but...well, I'm happy with martial arts. Guns weren't needed.

I sighed. I couldn't meet them anymore. Maybe I could visit there every Sunday, hopefully, Ms Son allow me. I walked in and my gaze fell upon a white envelope sat on the desk. It was Ms Son's list. She told me to make one for her and I just remembered I hadn't. I quickly sat on the chair and decided to finish reading hers first before writing mine. On the second page was her dislike. My eyes widened as I scanned the paper. Her first five dislikes had me gaped in disbelief.

Dislikes:

1. Myoui Mina
2. Japanese 
3. Plain/boring humans
4. Weak humans
5. Annoying humans
6. Peanuts
7. Migraines
8. Exercise
9. The dentist
10. Bad coffee
11. Ignored
12. Confinement
13. Humidity
14. Bees
15. Boys/dude/man/dixk

She dislike Japanese? When her previous previous flings was a Mangaka. I knew when she wrote Japanese it was straightforwardly pointing at me, not that she hated Japanese in general, she just hated a woman named Myoui Mina who 'coincidentally' a Japanese. I heaved a deep sigh and took a white paper and a pen. Writing my list and also my dislike for her to know. I had no idea where the courage suddenly comes, it felt as if my hand had its own mind.

Dislikes:

1. Son Chaeyoung
2. Korean
3. Rude humans
4. Vile humans
5. Ignorant humans
6. Beondegi/Pupa/Silkworm pupae
7. Natto
8. Cigarettes/smokers
9. Sarcasm
10. Bad words
11. Horror
12. Being the centre of attention
13. Scary rides
14. Medicine
15. Syringe

I pressed my lips. This was an act of digging your own grave. Continuing, I wrote my likes, fears, and additional information regarding my preference. When I'd done, I sealed it inside a white envelope and momentarily put it in my dress pocket. I washed my face then went downstairs to cook. It was almost seven sharp, I predicted she was already awake.