Chapter 53: The Night We Found Us Part 1

Chaeyoung

Tottori Hanakairo Flower Park.

I dialed her number over and over, but she didn't pick up

I dialed her number over and over, but she didn't pick up. I couldn't reach her. I pushed through the crowds. my eyes darting from one face to another, hoping to catch a glimpse of her. This was the last place of tourist attraction. She had to be here. She must be. If not, I didn't know where to else to look. I might have lose her.

I was left drenched in sweat and utterly exhausted. My heart raced, my lungs gasped for air as each breath became more labored. My body felt as if it had run a marathon, and the frantic search had taken a toll on me. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead and stung my eyes, but I didn't have a moment to wipe them away. The fear of losing her had me in its grip, and I pushed myself to keep searching, my legs growing heavy, my chest tight with fear. The world around me blurred as I desperately scanned the bustling streets, shouting her name with each step, praying that I would find her.

She wasn't around.

I ran until I couldn't. The stabbing sensation returned attacking my temples. The sheer anxiety and the thought of losing her had pushed me to this breaking point. I clutched my temples with one hand, trying to alleviate the throbbing pain. But my asthma also chose this critical moment to flare up. Breathing became a battle as my chest constricted, and I realized I needed my inhaler. I stopped in my tracks and fumbled for the inhaler, gasping for air.

Shit

It wasn't in my pocket. I had left it, on the deck where I had used it earlier. Panic set in. My breaths grew labored, and the ache in my chest intensified. I had no choice but to sit down on a bench, clutching my chest and struggling to take deep breaths. The moments slipped by, and I couldn't afford to stay put for too long.

I knew I couldn't waste any more time, but my body's limitations were preventing me from going any further. Frustration and fear welled up inside me, and a desperate feeling of helplessness overcame me. My head pounded, and tears threatened to spill from my eyes. This was no one's fault but my own countless hesitations. I couldn't blame Mina or anyone else. It was my own confusion and indecision that had brought me to this moment.

I desperately tried to remember the techniques I'd learned to manage asthma attacks when my inhaler wasn't available. With my eyes closed, I focused on taking slow, deep breaths through pursed lips, hoping it would provide some relief. It took time but I managed to regain control over my breathing. The wheezing started to fade, and the crushing weight on my chest gradually lifted. I stayed put, leaning on the bench for support, taking slow breaths until I felt stable enough to continue.

As I steadied my breathing, my racing heart gradually slowed down. The warmth of the sun on my face, the faint scent of blooming flowers, and the gentle rustling of leaves in the breeze helped soothe my senses.