Chapter 15: Paint

Mina

"She's so awkward around children and obviously dislikes them but surprisingly all of the kids likes her. She looks very uncomfortable and forced" A voice chimed in. I stopped scooping the rice and turned to the source of voice. A tall bear looking woman. We were preparing lunch for the kids, a short break after our gardening activity. Everyone worked together, the volunteers cooking and equipping the meal for the children except one person who sat on a chair under the tree; arms crossed against her chest, crossed legs, eyes closed.

A group of kids lurking around her and tried not to disturb since she was sleeping heavily perhaps due to exhaustion. The moment the kids saw her, she was dragged around by them with that obvious disapproval expression, but had no choice to follow. She must be tired. I unconsciously smiled at the sight.

"Who is she, Mina? That fierce tiger woman?" Seulgi added, staring towards her with an amusement written on her face.

I shrugged, "Someone. She is someone to me." Not wanting to linger around the topic, I changed the flow of the conversation. I didn't know what to tell others about Chaeyoung and our relationship. I didn't want to lie to them and involve them in this confusion. It was a contractual relationship and wouldn't last long anyway. It was my problem and would be safer if I keep them in the dark rather then lying. "By the way, why are you here alone? Where's Irene?"

"My wife has a photoshoot today" Seulgi pouted. They usually volunteering together unless Irene had schedule, Seulgi would stick with me and complain about how she missed her wife even if they literally separated only for half a day. Her excuses were, weekends supposed to be their time and no work-related were allowed. However, this bear didn't have the heart to stop her wife and willingly let her go to work. They really had an ideal marriage. I met them through this orphanage and had been acquaintance since then. Seulgi and Irene had been together for five years already. I'd seen them every weekend through this volunteer program.

They were totally faithful, honest and respectful to one other. I had never seen them broke into a fight, only teases and apologies from the bear and of course, Irene would forgive her for her childish action sometimes. They made me believe true love did exist and it was beautiful. I wished to have a happy marriage just like them, a loving lover, a sweet moment with my spouse.

My gaze averted to the woman sleeping under the tree. I sighed. Maybe my wish was too good to be true. This was reality. She showed me exactly what reality was. But it wasn't too late, I guess. After six months, I would be free from this agreement and perhaps able to find someone that loves me for who I am and build my own family.

Seulgi tapped my shoulder as a gesture to excuse herself. She jogged towards the children and gathered them, announcing it was lunchtime. The kids cheered that successfully stirred Chaeyoung from her deep slumber. She woke up and groggily walked behind me. I raised my brows, questioning what she wants but she wordlessly wrapped her arms around my waist while her chin rested on my shoulder. I was surprised but managed to stop myself from flinching. She yawned, "I'm hungry"

I was about to answer when a sudden flash of light hit my left eye. I winced and it disappeared second after. What was that? I roamed my eyes around and saw the black Mercedes's window was rolled down and there was it again, that flash of light. I narrowed my eyes and able to see lenses behind the window. They were taking pictures of us. Now, I understood Chaeyoung's behaviour. Looking away, I leaned my body against Chaeyoung and softly caressed her hands. "Would you like some bulgogi? We also have bibimpap and kimchi jigae if you want. I can prepare it for you"