3. Hunter Rose

What could Zoie say about Hunter the second she saw him? He looked extremely depressed. His green eyes were dark and his shoulder-length red hair was a mess. He was extremely pale and had bags under his eyes. He sat on the steps of the bus alone. 

Zoie walked over to him and sat beside him. "Hey, I'm Zoie," Zoie said. Hunter didn't reply he only nodded and scooted away from Zoie looking in the opposite direction. "Hey," Zoie said softly as she put her hand on Hunter's. He jerked his hand away and shot Zoie and death glare. Zoie half expected him to say something. But he didn't. He only glared at her before looking away. "Hunter, this isn't healthy. You really should talk to someone other than your parents. I'm always here to talk if you want too," Zoie said before she got up and joined Andrew. 

That night Zoie was woken up by someone softly shaking her shoulders. She sat up and yawned and saw Hunter looking at her. "What is it, Hunter?" Zoie asked. "I've been thinking about what you said," Hunter said his voice was light and soft with a slight southern accent. "Follow me," he said. 

Zoie rose out of bed feeling naked. She only wore an oversized shirt to bed like she usually did. But she followed Hunter anyway tugging her shirt lower trying to cover up more. She hated exposing so much skin in front of Hunter. But he didn't seem to care as he barely looked at her. 

"Where are we going, Hunter?" Zoie asked. "On the top of the bus," Hunter said. "While it's moving?" Zoie asked baffled. Hunter nodded. They climbed the later and sat on the room. Zoie was slightly trembling. Her curly hair blew back as the strong wind blew in her direction. "Are you scared?" Hunter asked. Zoie nodded. "A-A little," she said. Hunter wrapped his arm around Zoie's shoulders. "So, I can't touch you but you can touch me?" Zoie asked relaxing at the feel of Hunter's touch. Hunter chuckled but it sounded unreal and dead. "I do what I want, Hudson," Hunter said smiling his dead unreal smile. He placed his hand on Zoie's thigh and brought it up higher. "Stop, Hunter!" Zoie said. Hunter could hear the fear in her voice so he stopped but he kept his arm around her shoulders. "Why do you care so much about me?" Hunter asked. Zoie shrugged. "I care about everyone," she said. Hunter hummed. "That's a dangerous thing to do," he said. "What?" Zoie asked. "Care about everyone," Hunter said. "You can get hurt easily. And anyone can manipulate you." "Who hurt you?" Zoie asked. "It seems this is about more than your sister." "Don't mention my sister. And this is about more than her, so what? You shouldn't care," Hunter said. Zoie sighed once more. "I... I just wanna help," she said as tears pricked her eyes. "Don't cry for me, Zoie," Hunter said. "I hate seeing people in pain," Zoie said. "I'm sorry, I even brought you up here. If I knew it would hurt you, I wouldn't have," Hunter said. "No," Zoie said. "I enjoyed it. Maybe we can do it again tomorrow?" Hunter smiled. But this one actually looked real. "Sure," he said.