4. Boyfriend

Hunter and Zoie have been joining together on the roof of the bus for the past three nights watching the cities and country land go by. Hunter grew more comfortable around Zoie and he dreaded the tour to end because then he couldn't see the curly-haired girl every night. 

Hunter heard the soft footsteps of Zoie before she sat beside him. "Hey, Hunter," she said cheerfully. "Hey," Hunter said in his monotone voice. "Ya know, I've really been enjoying this," Zoie said. "Me too," Hunter said. He turned to Zoie. "Zoie, there are a few things I need to get off my chest. Please don't tell anyone," Hunter said. "I promise," Zoie said. "Alright, two years ago my sister was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Everyone knew she would die. I was close to my sister. And when she died I was heartbroken. My friends and people at school used to bully me about it. Saying that I should join her. That they didn't like me. I attempted to kill myself last year. But I was saved. I couldn't escape from this world. I tried. So I did the next best thing. I became mute. So people would eventually forget about me. And it worked. I was basically a ghost just sitting there. I was able to skip classes easily and the teachers wouldn't know because I was so quiet they forgot about me," Hunter said. "But don't you get lonely?" Zoie asked. "Of course I do," Hunter said laying down. Zoie laid beside him with her head on his chest. "But it's better than people telling me that I should kill myself," Hunter said. "I love you, Hunter," Zoie said. "You do?" Hunter asked. "Yeah, you're my best friend," Zoie said. 

The two of them fell asleep curled next together on the top of the bus wishing that night wouldn't end. 

_____________________________________________________________

"You talked to Hunter Rose!" Beth asked once Zoie returned to school. "Yeah, he's really sweet," Zoie said. "Once you get to know him that is." "Yeah, yeah, but he doesn't talk to anyone!" Beth said. "I guess he just feels comfortable with me," Zoie said shrugging. "No, he likes you!" Beth said. "No, he doesn't. Maybe I remind him of his sister in some way. Or he sees me as a sister. Or maybe he knows I care about him," Zoie said. "But he doesn't love, love me. Like a partner. He loves me as a friend. As a sister." "You should talk to him today," Beth said. "He goes to this school?" Zoie asked. "Yeah, but he's so quiet he likes to sit in the back of the classroom where no one can see him," Beth said. 

So he was right, Zoie thought. No one even knows he exists and therefore forgets about him. He's a no-one to everyone. Except for me. 

Zoie walked into every classroom she had during the day. And she didn't see Hunter. Did he skip school or just the classes they had together? After all, Beth and Zoie had every class together and if Beth noticed Hunter he would've been in the same class. 

Zoie was extremely disappointed that she didn't see Hunter that day. 

She walked to her locker and threw it open placing her books back into her bag. When she closed her locker she saw Max Mike leaning against the locker next to Zoie's. "Uhm... Can I help you?" Zoie asked still annoyed that she hadn't seen Hunter that day. "Actually, baby girl, you can," Max said. "Don't call me that!" Zoie said. Max's face softened. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset I just wanted to know if you would like to go on a date?" Max asked. 

Zoie didn't show if she should or not. Surely an actor's son wouldn't be after her for her fame. "Alright," Zoie said. "We'll give it a shot."