16. Enjoying The Last Years

The struck Hunter like lightning he almost forgot about the baby in his hands. He only stared at Zoie in shock. 

"Y-you're joking," he choked out. Zoie knew he was about to cry. "No, I'm not," Zoie said hanging her head. Hunter got up and put Asher in his playpen and walked back over to Zoie engulfing her in a hug his body trembling with sobs. "You'll live though right?" Hunter asked. "I have five more years," Zoie said. Hunter broke down completely. Zoie had never seen him cry so hard. "I can't l-lose y-y-you," Hunter sobbed. "I know you're upset but we have to think about your and Asher's future," Zoie said. "I don't even want to think of life without you," Hunter said. "I know, baby. But we have to start thinking about it. Maybe we should invite Axl and Michelle over so we can talk about it. Because I don't wanna leave this world without knowing if my boyfriend and baby are going to work out," Zoie said. "I'll get a job. Mom, dad, Slash, and Meegan can help talk care of Asher," Hunter said. "Baby, I'll die at nineteen, a lot of things can change by then. Hunter, I wanna make sure you can do it. I know you'll be heartbroken and-" "You think I can't do it? You think I can raise my baby?" Hunter asked. Zoie could tell he was even more heartbroken at that. "No, Hunter. I know you can do it. But you'll be mourning won't you?" Zoie asked. "Forever," Hunter said. "Baby, we need to think about Asher's future," Zoie said. "I'm not giving him up! I'm not losing the love of my life and my baby," Hunter growled. "I love you so much, Hunter," Zoie said nuzzling her face in Hunter's neck. "I love you too, Zoie, more than you'll ever know," Hunter said. 

Zoie began her treatments and was really tired during them. Hunter continued to take care of Zoie and Asher. The bond between boyfriend and girlfriend and father and son growing stronger each day. 

Asher began to crawl and he crawled right over to Zoie and held his arms out. Zoie lifted Asher. "Hey, Ashie!" Zoie said raising the baby. Asher giggled. 

Hunter leaned on the doorway watching his beautiful girlfriend play with his son. They looked so happy. As if Zoie forgot about her cancer. The thing that will eventually kill her. 

It hurt Hunter more than ever knowing that he wouldn't be able to marry Zoie. That her time is running out. He only had five years to show Zoie how much she meant to him. 

Hunter knew Zoie would enjoy these last few years. 

But Hunter would spend them in torture.