13. I Did It

Christmas Eve

Zoie and Meegan were getting Christmas dinner ready. Heather and her family, Beth and her family, and Alex and his family would be coming. So with a big Christmas celebration on the way, Zoie and Meegan needed to hurry up and get the preparations ready. 

Hunter was in Zoie's room playing the guitar and singing to Asher who was laying in bed smiling at his father. He was wearing a cute Christmas sleeper that looks like a Santa Claus outfit. Hunter finished off the song and looked back at his baby who was fast asleep with his thumb stuck in his mouth. Hunter smiled and pulled the blanket up to Asher's chin before leaving the room allowing the baby to sleep.

It wasn't long until everyone got there and they took turns holding Asher. Michelle kept gently pinching little Asher's chubby baby cheeks. Which annoyed the hell out of Hunter. "Mama, Asher doesn't constantly need his need his cheeks pulled," Hunter said teasingly. "Aw, but he's so cute, your sister would've loved him," Michelle said. 

Hunter rose to his feet and left the room at a quick mention of his sister. He walked to Zoie's room where she was wrapping presents. 

"Hey, baby," Hunter said wrapping his arms around Zoie's waist. "Hey, Hunter," Zoie said smiling at her boyfriend. "Are you alright?" "There's more to my sister you don't know and I need to get it off my chest," Hunter said sitting on the bed. Zoie removed the wrapped gift and set it with the others before sitting down beside Hunter. "You don't have to-" "I want to," Hunter said. "It's my fault." With that Hunter began crying. "Hunter no! It isn't your fault," Zoie said. "Yes, it is. She didn't die of untreated cancer... I killed her," Hunter said. "What?" Zoie asked. "What do you mean you killed her?" "We got into a fight and a lot of harsh words were said. I went to a group of friends of mine and told them what happened. My sister is only a year younger than me. Anyway, after I told them what happened they told me they could kill her for me. I thought they were joking, so sarcastically, I said, that'd be great. It wasn't long before my sister fell very ill and died. We were told it was cancer, but the doctors didn't really know. I told my friends that she died a few months later when the pain subsided. They looked at each other and back at me and said, you told us you wanted us to kill her for you. I thought they were joking. I really did think they were joking. I don't deserve you, Zoie. I don't deserve to father your children," Hunter said as tears ran down his face. Zoie stared at him in shock. "Hunter..." She started lost for words. Hunter rose to his feet. "Zoie, as I said, I don't deserve you or Asher. Find someone better to raise my son." 

And with that Hunter left. Leaving Zoie all alone with his child.