chapter nine

I like Baji.

What you said surprised the raven-haired male. His eyes widened as he tried to process it. Am I hearing things right? She said she likes me or the fever is frying her brain?

"You're saying nonse—" He paused in the middle of his sentence because you tried to place your index finger on his lips to hush him. Baji couldn't help but watch you as you couldn't place it right since your eyes were closed. It eventually landed on his cheeks. Baji isn't sure if he should laugh. You're too funny for him.

When you started talking, he became serious. "I don't like him because he's hot in his gang uniform, or because he's badass when punching someone, or because he's cute when he messed up the words, or the way he ties his hair, or his soft lips... I think I liked him the very first time I saw him.. The one I told you before... about the cats..."

"What... What cats?"

"You don't remember? The one I told you about last time. It was raining and he saw a box of cats by side of the road. He gave his umbrella to the kittens and walked in the rain."

Did she notice me that day? Is this the reason she keeps insisting I'm not a bad guy?

"Anyway, I don't plan on telling him anything. I'm having fun being his friend, and I don't want to waste that. I just told you my feelings, so I won't keep it buried in my chest, and if I die today... at least someone knows how I feel about him."

"Idiot, you're not going to die."

"You sound like him, Hina," you chuckled before going silent. Baji touches your forehead and it's still burning hot. He then continued to feed you and after that, he gave you the medicine.

"Thank you, Hina."

"Yeah."

Baji is now sitting on the floor, watching over you as you lie on the bed. He placed his arms on your bed and rested his head on it.

"What time will your parents come home?"

"They both went on different business trips and will return maybe next week."

"What? They abandon you with a high fever?"

You took a sniff. "Even if they didn't tell me, I know they're blaming me for Haru's death... If only I'd noticed the fire sooner..." Your voice is trembling, and Baji can barely hear it. He moved in closer to hear more of what you were saying.

"But don't worry, Hina, I'll be okay. It's just a couple of months until I turn eighteen, and I'll make absolutely sure that my new house is a home, and of course, you're welcome. We'll eat food while watching our favorite movies." You paused and smiled slightly. "Fine. Takemichi can come as long as he doesn't cry while watching horror movies," you chuckled as you turned to your left to face Baji.

"Thank you, again..." you mumbled before falling silent. You fell asleep.

The young lad stood there motionless, gazing at you. "I never considered liking someone. All I want is to fight and pass my exams. I can't reciprocate your feelings, y/n. It's best if we just stay friends."

Baji was woken up by the sound of your doorbell. I fell asleep too! He exclaimed in his head before freezing as he saw your face, which was only an inch away. He can feel the tip of your lips brushing against his. He sat up straight and averted his gaze. After he calmed down, He looked back and gently touched your forehead.

"Thank god her fever went down..." He mumbled as he silently went out of  your room.

"Hi! Sorry for being late. I just finished some errands and bought food for y/n; I told my parents I'd sleep here so she has someone with her... How is she?" Hina asked.