chapter twenty-six

It's been three weeks since that incident. Mikey, Hina, and Takemichi watched over you like hawks, and you can't blame them because if one of them did what you did, you know that you'll watch over them too.

The situation is hard but you're now starting to accept that people come and go and no matter how painful it is, you need to move forward. You still feel sad from time to time, but their constant reminders that you have them really helped you.

Surprisingly, Baji is a bit nicer than before. When you greet him, he just ignores you which is much okay than glaring, and saying hurtful words every time your eyes meet. You think that you can survive the class like this.

"Ah! Why does Mrs. Sato always ask me to carry things around? I won't grow if I have to carry heavy things all the time," you thought to yourself. You were about to leave for your part-time job when your homeroom teacher spotted you and asked you to bring some prop boxes to the theater club.

Struggling, you are looking at the steps from the side because your view is blocked by the boxes you're carrying. After a few steps down, you notice that the top two boxes have been lifted.

"Woah! That made things easier. Thank you!" You said and looked up. Your eyes slowly widen when you saw that it's Baji who helped you.

"If you're carrying things taller than you, you might fall from the stairs." He said nonchalantly and walked beside you.

That was the nicest thing he said since the accident. He's not mad anymore? You thought as you stared at him, confused.

"What's with that look?" He asked but his tone is normal.

"Did you eat something nice or did the god of kindness smack you in the head or something? Why are you helping me all of a sudden?" You asked without thinking. You readied yourself for his angry reply, but to your surprise, he didn't respond. You peer at him and he's just looking in front, so you just shrug your shoulders.

After a few minutes of silent walking, you both finally reached the theater club. Baji opened the door for you, and the two of you gave the boxes to them. They thanked you and after you exited the room, you slightly bowed to the black-haired male.

"Thank you, again," You said and when he didn't respond, you bowed once again and turned around. But before you could take a step, you felt him grab your wrist.

"Wait."

"Hmm?" You hummed, tilting your head to the side. Your gaze then went down to your hand, staring at it. Baji followed where your eyes were, and when he realized that he was holding you, he quickly let go.

"Uhm..." He says as he scratches his nape. "Do you have a moment?"

"Why?"

"I have to talk to you."

You stared at him for a while. You'd be lying if you say that your heart didn't skip a beat when he held your hand. The feelings are still there, yes. You still love him, yes, but you made up your mind, and this time it's for real. You need to let him go.

"Okay."

Baji nodded, walked ahead, and you followed him. As you both walked towards the school garden, Yuri caught a glimpse of you from the window of her clubroom, causing her to jolt a little.

Baji's treatment with Yuri suddenly became cold. He's always with her, but his mind is elsewhere, and she knows he's thinking about you. You're not going to take him away from me. She thought as her grasp on the pencil that she was holding tightens, causing it to break in half.

I need to do something.

"What do you want to talk about, Baji?" you asked with a tone that was not as gentle as before.