chapter twenty-seven

Hmm... That familiar smell. You pondered as your brain gradually awoke from sleep. Sniffing a bit, you slowly opened your eyes to see where the smell was coming from.

"Hmm." You hummed, raising your gaze, only to see Baji staring back at you. Your body instantly froze when you realized that you were resting your head on Baji's shoulder. The first thing that comes to mind is, Did I drool?

Second is How in the hell did I end up on his shoulders? I know I turned my back on him the moment I sat in this seat.

You're still on his shoulder, lost in your thoughts when Baji spoke. "You're awake. Great timing; we're almost there." He said calmly. When you heard his gentle voice, you flinched slightly and sat up straight.

"Sorry," you mumbled, discreetly wiping the side of your face before looking away.

"It's fine." He replied. You nodded without looking at him and put your chin on your palm while glancing out the window to end the conversation.

"It's uhm... It's bad for your health to work double shifts during school days. You're becoming thin."

Heat began to travel from your face up to your head. Furrowing your eyebrows, you snapped your head back at him. "Why do you care? I asked you to treat me like a stranger last time and stop talking to me. Just stick with that."

"As long as we're classmates, we cannot avoid each other. You'll have to bear with my pretense too until the closing ceremony."

"Presence." You whispered and shook your head. "What happened to you? Have you been replaced by an extraterrestrial or something? Why are you being so nice to me after six months of treating me like shit?" you added, trying your best to lower your voice.

He let out a big sigh and looked at you. "To be honest, I don't even know. There's still a missing piece in me, and I thought if I could get you out of my life, it would become easier for me to forget about it, but no, it made it worse. Now I don't know what to do. I'm lost."

"That has nothing to do with me anymore. Baji, please, I'm trying to move on. I gave you what you wanted, so please give me my peace. Focus on other things. Go join some clubs, beat other people in gang fights, or give your full attention to Yuri. I don't care anymore."

YURI

"It's just a matter of time before Baji remembers y/n, and you'll be yeeted from his life," Mikey said with a mocking tone. Unfortunately, I was assigned to sit next to him. I tried to ask our homeroom teacher to exchange seats, but she refused. Now, I'm forced to endure long hours of travel beside this annoying midget.

I cast him a sidelong glance and sank into my seat. "What about you, huh? You can't have your shot with y/n if Baji remembers everything." I paused, resting my head on my palm with a grin spreading across my lips.

"Why don't we help each other so we can be both happy?" I suggested, looking at him. "If I can have Baji and you can have y/n, the both of us will have a happy ending!"

"What do I expect from a selfish bitch like you?" Mikey sighed in response.

"Excuse me?!"

"Not everything has to revolve around us, Yuri. I would happily give up my happiness to see y/n happy. If Baji's memories return, I would gladly give y/n's hand back to him." He took a breather and smiled sadly. "To love someone means to be selfless, you know."

Yuri scoffed, staring at the blonde male in disbelief. "You may be the commander of a powerful gang, but you're mentally weak. So, you mean that you won't even fight for your love? What a shame."