chapter twenty-three

CW: A brief mention of self-harm

"What? All of a sudden? Are you sure? Why don't you stay here just until you graduate high school?" Auntie asked, tightly clutching your hands

"What? All of a sudden? Are you sure? Why don't you stay here just until you graduate high school?" Auntie asked, tightly clutching your hands. You can tell she's worried about you because of your sudden decision to move, but things are now complicated, and you don't want to further trouble Baji.

The next morning, after Baji dumped you, you and Hina skipped class to look for a small apartment that's close to school. You haven't told her anything about the breakup. You just told her that you want to give Baji his space.

Half-day through your search, you found a studio-type apartment that is small, but decent for its price, and after a week, you paid the deposit and advance. If you continue to double shift, you can afford the living expenses and can also save money for college.

"I am grateful for all your help, Auntie, but staying here with Keisuke affects his recovery. He's getting stressed when I'm around, and I'm getting frustrated when he doesn't remember me. It's not healthy anymore."

Auntie took a deep breath and looked at you with her kind eyes. "I understand. I just have one request. Please let me know your new address so I can visit you from time to time."

"Yes, Auntie. I will leave you my address." You stand up and hug her tightly. "Thank you so much! Thank you for making me feel like part of your family. I will forever be grateful to you and Keisuke."

"Remember, y/n that you're always welcome here. When life gets tough alone, you can always go back. You have a home here."

You can't utter a word without bursting into tears, so you just nod while looking down, trying to control your emotions.

After you talked to Auntie, you excused yourself and went to your room to pack your things. It's only a few stuff, so you can finish it within 30 minutes. You need to move fast because you don't want him to see you packing. You might cry if you see his face now.

You packed your belongings in your bag and the rest in the box Auntie gave you. While putting the final stuff in your bag, your gaze was drawn to the plush toy Baji had given you on your date. You picked it up and stared at it for a few moments. This cat really looks like him.

"You hurt me so bad." You said quietly, pointing at the cat. Tears are now falling again, but you quickly wipe them. "I will now try to let you go, it hurts so bad, but I will try. Just promise me that you will be happy, okay?" You added and hugged the plush toy one more time before leaving it behind.

After you finished packing, you said your goodbyes to Auntie. She handed you a bag full of home-cooked meals that can be reheated. She also reminded you not to skip meals, and to take care of yourself. You hugged her tightly, thanking her repeatedly before leaving their home.

You almost went past your stop as you were in a daze the whole train ride, but luckily you reached the apartment building without any problems. The landlady welcomed you and informed you about the rules of the building before giving you the keys.