chapter nineteen

"Who are you?"

His words echoed inside your head. Frozen in shock, and disbelief, you stared at him as your smile slowly fades.

"Son, that's not funny... She's y/n, your girlfriend." auntie said as she rubbed her son's arm. His eyebrows furrowed, shaking his head. You can visibly see how confused Baji is.

"No, ma. I don't have a girlfriend." He looks at you with those pair of bronze eyes, and this time, you're not reflecting in them. It's as if the sparks in his eyes have vanished, and that's how you know that he's not joking.

"I don't know that girl!" He exclaimed as he pointed at you. It's like someone poured cold water on you. You were unable to move or react. You're just staring at him, refusing to believe that this is happening.

"Get her out. You're making my head hurt!" He added.

"Baji, don't yell at y/n," Mikey exclaimed.

"Mikey, I don't know her! Why is she here? Arghhh!" He groans as he holds his head. "My head! It hurts! Get her out now!"

"Chifuyu, call the nurse! We need a doctor!" Mikey instructed. Chifuyu nodded and hurriedly ran outside.

"Baji! Are you okay?" You asked in a worried tone and tried to touch him, but he slapped your hand away. "Get out! You're making my head hurt! Get her out, ma! Aghhh!"

You take a step back and look around, and see that everyone is in shock. You return your gaze to Baji, and he's not even looking at you. He's just looking down, holding his head.

"I... I'll go ahead," you said, bowing to auntie. You take one last look at him, and he's now staring at you as if you're the enemy. Mikey couldn't stand seeing you like that, so he pulled you out of there. As soon as you stepped out of his room, the corner of your eyes began to burn.

Mikey stops pulling you when you both reach outside the hospital. You're just staring off into space, shaken by what happened. You have a lot of questions in your head and a lot of things you want to say.

"Hey..." Mikey said softly. When you look at him, tears stream down your cheeks. You're not trying to cry or anything; it just happened. Your eyes began to cry on their own.

"Hey!" There's a hint of panic in Mikey's voice. He pulled you into a hug, stroking your back to calm you down. "I'm sure it's just a temporary thing. He'll recover soon."

After you had calmed down, he sat you down on a bench and walked over to a vending machine to buy some water. 

You're still trying to make sense of what happened. Why does he remember all Toman members and auntie, but not me? Everything feels like a dream... You wish that it's only a dream, a vivid dream, so you can easily wake up, and return to normal.

Mikey came back a few minutes later with bottled water in his hands. He sat beside you and handed you the water bottle.

"Thanks," You said quietly and wiped your tears with your arm before you opened the bottle.

"This is all my fault, y/n. I can't protect my men. Now you're hurting. I can't see you like that, it breaks my heart."

"No, Mikey you're a great commander. Please don't blame yourself. In your world, things like this happen, and I'm still thankful that Baji's alive. That's all that matters right now."

Mikey gave you a warm smile. You can see his worried face, which is why you're doing your best to appear strong so that you won't bother them anymore.

Moments later, Draken approached the two of you. "Found you guys! The doctor said it was traumatic amnesia. It happens when the patient experienced a hard blow in the head like what happened to Baji. Most of the time it's temporary, but we need some tests because the doctor said that it's rare that he remembers everyone except y/n."