chapter seventeen

It's been a month since you and Baji started dating, and it was the happiest month for you. You also found a part-time job at a convenience store that fits your schedule as a student and also with a decent salary. You budgeted your money well so that you can give your share to the house's expenses while saving for college. I think this will work, I just have to do my best.

Baji has been MIA for the past few weeks. He simply drives you to your part-time job and then leaves. He'll return later to pick you up, and once you're both home, you'll both be tired and almost asleep during dinner, so you'll just go straight to your rooms to sleep. When you ask Baji, he simply says that he is busy with Toman's activities.

"y/n!" Hina greeted. "Oh my! You look like you haven't slept in weeks!" She said in a worried tone.

"Oh. it's fine! My co-worker couldn't make it yesterday so I took her shift. it's all good because that means double pay."

"You shouldn't do that on a Sunday when the next day is a school day," Hina said in a scolding tone. Sometimes, she sounds like a mom, and it makes your heart melt.

"I'm good, Hina. I just want to prove to my parents that I can live without them."

"Just... don't overdo it, y/n it's hard when you get sick."

"I know, Hina. Promise this is the last time I will do that."

You and Hina entered the room and saw Baji sleeping at his table. Didn't he get enough sleep last night? I was too busy with the part-time that I didn't notice. He picked me up after my shift at 2:00 am but he said that he slept around 8:00 pm and auntie just woke him up to pick me up, but why is he still sleeping?

You approach him and gently remove the hair from his face. When you touch his forehead to check if he has a fever, he quickly grabs your wrist, slowly opens his eyes, and raises his head. His irritated expression softened and plastered a gentle smile.

"I thought you were some random girl." He said in a hoarse whisper.

"Baji, are you not getting enough sleep?"

"No! I sleep well."

"You look like you didn't sleep for a week."

"Back at you." He said in a teasing tone.

"Baji! I'm not joking. Don't ignore your health."

"I should be the one to tell you that. You suddenly called me that your shift is until 2:00 am on a Sunday when there's school the next day."

You lowered your gaze and mumbled a quick sorry. "I won't do that again, Hina also scolded me about that."

"Tch. You're so cute, I can't get mad." He said as he messed up your hair.

The homeroom teacher arrives, and you return to my seat. While listening, you rested your head on your palm, trying to stay awake, but you almost fell asleep half of the lecture. I don't know that It's hard to balance work and school. Next time I will stick to my schedule. You thought,

At lunch, you and Hina went to the school garden to eat. You're munching your bento with your eyes half-open.

"You don't look okay, y/n. You can go home now if you want. I'll just tell the teacher that you're not feeling well."

"No, It's fine. Exams are coming and I need to ace that, so I can apply scholarship for college."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. You also need a break, we're only second years, and we have enough time to prepare, y/n."

"Maybe you're right, Hina." You stop talking when someone places something cold above your head, causing your entire body to shiver.

"I saw you half asleep in Mrs. Sato's class earlier. Drink that so you can have energy," Baji said as he passed you. He then winks before returning his gaze to his friends. He made new friends in class and that made you smile.