chapter fourteen

You got up early to prepare breakfast for Auntie and Baji. You don't intend to attend class today because your cuts and bruises are still hurting you and your face is a mess. It will just create rumors at school.

You're walking down the stairs quietly when you notice Baji sleeping on the couch, his one leg resting on the floor because he's too tall for the sofa. You carefully approach him and take the blanket from the floor. You then put it on him and watch his sleeping face for a while.

"You really don't look scary to me at all," You whispered and removed some strands of his hair away from his face. "Thank you, Baji. Thank you for saving me."

After that, you walk straight to the kitchen and started cooking. You saw eggs and bacon in their fridge, and a bowl of leftover rice, so you decided to make fried rice for them.

"Wow that smells nice y/n," Auntie said as she steps out of her room.

"Good morning, auntie! I apologize for using your kitchen and the eggs and bacon, I just want to cook you guys some breakfast, but don't worry, I'll go grocery shopping later to replace them."

"Oh, no, no it's fine! You're part of the family now. No need to be shy around us, and don't be too formal with me, okay?"

You smiled and bowed at her. "Thank you so much for helping me,"

"I saw that my Keisuke cares so much about you, so you must be important to him... What's important to him is important to me too." She said as she patted your head. Auntie's words give you butterflies and you can't help but smile.

After you're done preparing, you wake Baji up and you all eat breakfast together. You were so happy looking at them while eating the food you made, talking, and laughing together. The food really tastes ten times better when you eat it with someone. Running away is the best decision I've made.

After breakfast, you cleaned the dishes. Auntie is going to work, so you made her a bento. She hugs you like you're her daughter and waves goodbye before leaving their apartment.

"Hey! Get ready for school you'll be late." You said.

"I'm not going."

"What? Why?"

"I will clean the storage room."

"I can do that myself. You already did so much for me, and I—" You didn't finish your sentence when Baji approached you and flicked your forehead.

"Don't be stubborn." He said then walked past you.

You rubbed your forehead before following Baji upstairs. "But your grades!" You came to a halt when he opened the door, a lot of boxes greeted the two of you.

"I'll clean this, You go to my room and rest."

"I'll help."

"It's a lot of work." He said, scratching the back of his head.

"Exactly! That's why It's much faster if we're doing it together. Besides, I don't want to lay in bed all day. I'll just overthink things. Today I want to be productive." You reasoned. Baji just stared at you for a moment before he sighed in defeat.

"Fine, but you're not doing the hard stuff."

"Aye aye, captain!" You said and smile, He smiled back, and mess your hair.

"Okay, let's start!"

While removing the boxes from their storage room, Baji suddenly stood beside you to ask something. "Did you tell Tachibana what happened?"

"Uhm... Not yet."

"Why? She's also worried about you."

"I..." You paused and let out a sigh. "I don't want her to see me like this. I want her to remember me as a happy person, not like this wrecked, homeless girl."