chapter twenty-eight

After long hours of silence, the class finally arrived at its destination. The ride was so awkward that you couldn't even turn to the other side to face him since you wouldn't want to stir up any more unwanted emotions in you. You've finally decided to move on, and you're sticking to it regardless of whether his memories return or not.

"Okay, class before we start, the one who sits beside you will be your partner throughout the activities." The teacher announced. Whispers started to fill the air as some students were protesting.

What?! This means... You thought and looked at Baji. He's looking at you with the same surprised face.

"I—I guess we have to work together?" He said.

"Yeah. I think we don't have any choice but to endure each other's presence."

This Destiny thing likes to play games, huh? After I've totally chosen to move on from him, a situation like this happens.

"Ma'am, can we change partners? I am comfortable if Keisuke is my partner," a familiar voice said. You glanced behind you and it was Yuri, standing while raising her hand.

"The pairings are final Ms. Mori." The teacher firmly said. She plastered a fake wide smile before lightly stomping her feet and flopping her body back on the seat.

"I won't entertain any more requests about changing partners. Now if you're all ready, fall in line and we're doing the head count before going to the camping site." The teacher said and everyone stood up, grabbing their bags.

Baji reached for his bag in the compartment above. As you were about to reach for yours, he grabbed your bag and handed it to you.

"Thanks." You said and walked past him. As much as possible, you want to distance yourself from him and just talk when it's about school works.

"Hey, are you okay with Baji?" Hina asked. The two of you are now walking towards the cabins to settle your stuff in your room before the activity starts.

"Yeah. It's fine, Hina. Don't worry, Okay?"

You all changed into jogging pants and color-coded t-shirts after settling our belongings in your respective rooms. For your class, you were all wearing white t-shirts. Soon after, the teacher called all of the students outside to begin the first activity.

"Good afternoon, students! You know who I am, so there's no need for an introduction. Why are we here? Anyone?" Your PE teacher asked. Some students raised their hands and he picked someone to answer.

"To learn about survival?" A student from another section answered.

"That's right! We're here to learn about survival. That's why for this activity, we will light our own fire that we will use to cook our dinner. We have our guest here, a camp expert who will teach you how, but first, we need to find the things we will need,".

"The pairs will go to the nearby woods to find different types of branches, and then return here within thirty minutes. You don't have to worry as the teachers are scattered around to monitor every one of you. And just a reminder. Don't go deep into the woods, and don't leave your partners! We paired you as one boy and one girl to distribute the roles fairly. Understand?" The teacher further explained.

"Yes, sir!" You all said.

"Good! Now go get three kinds of wood: Number one is tinder, small twigs, and dried leaves," He said, showing the twigs as samples. "Then the kindling sticks, medium-sized sticks, that look like this." The teacher picked something from the small table and showed it to all of the students. "And lastly, the fuel. This is the largest piece of branch." He said and showed the branch from the table.