Chapter 39 - Dead Bed

Evangeline Mayford

"Ms. Mayford, your husband decline the divorce paper again." I sighed and I told my lawyer that he could send it again in two weeks.

It's been two years and he's still declining the divorce paper.

I looked outside the window and let put a long sigh.

It's been 2 years and I can't say that.. I'm doing well because I'm not. The guilt of everything that happened to Silas was haunting me alive.

It was a mistake. A pure mistake.

When I told Logan to pick one of his friends to marry me, I never thought Silas will step forward taking his place. I thought.. marrying him will only be two months because I know I was just looking for protection.

At first, I was not afraid if he ended up dead. I wanted safety. I was bullied a lot and someone like Simon is capable of killing someone.

Hiding behind Logan was a good choice knowing he has Tryon. A drug lord because Logan was secretly selling drugs. I can't blackmailed him because I know no one would believe me.

I never thought Silas will be a really kind and sincere guy. As I got to know him better, the more guilt building up inside me. That's why I wanted a divorce. I kept mentioning it so I can get my head into the game knowing that it's all just temporary.

Then slowly.. I'm starting to fall in love with him. I never knew that I can fall in love that fast. When we were skydiving, seeing him going down first was like imagining him getting killed by Simon or whoever Simon sent.

I knew he was in jail but I never thought he would get out and showed up the event. I was shocked seeing but I tried to be civil since I don't want to ruin my parents' event.

It was all a mess.

When they take me, I was relieved because they disn't use Silas as a bait. It was purely me then when I woke up, he was there.

I was scared for his life. I begged Simon to spare his life and I will pretty much give everything to him including my trustfunds.

I was willing to die for Silas. He deserves a life, a beautiful life. It's not fair for me to be selfish. I will never be selfish.

I kept sending my divorce papers but he won't sign it. It made me frustrated. Can he understand that I want to let him go? That I just want to be happy even though the thought of him being happy with someone else will haunt me alive.

For the past 2 years, there's not have been a day that I don't think about Silas. His smile, his eyes, his touch and everything about him. I miss him.

I cut everything with everyone including my parents. They didn't want me in the first place anyway so why bother.. to talk to them. I'm done with Mayford too. I just want to be happy.

I turned when I heard my son is crying. I quickly ran into his room and picked him up. I hugged him tightly as I tried to calm him down.

My sweet son, Ben.

2 months after running away, I found out that I was pregnant. I was happy and at least I have a little bit trace of Silas. He will remind me of how kind and how amazing his dad is.

I know I can live my life with him. Just the two of us. He made my life better, a thousand times better.

I heard the door bell rings and I quickly walked to the door opening it because it might Aliyah since she said she will come back to Singapore this week.

"Hey Eva."

"Aliyah!" I hugged her.

"I miss you." She said and I smiled.

"I miss you too."

"Hello Ben!" Ben smiled when Aliyah opened her arms. Aliyah took Ben away from me and I closed the door. I pushed Aliyah's luggage in and sat down the sofa in the living room.

"I saw Silas back in Dubai." She said and that made me turn to her.

"What?"

"I saw Silas."

"Oh."

"You lied to me." Aliyah said and I sighed.

"I'm sorry, I don't have a choice."

"You should have seen him, you ruined him."

"What do you mean? What happene to him?" I asked.

"He was diagnose with cancer, he told me he had been going in and out from the hospital." What?! My heart stopped and I looked at Aliyah in horror.

"How he is doing now? Is he getting treat? What type of cancer?"

"Liver.. liver.." Aliyah said and tears started to fill my eyes.

"You should have not left him, Eva. You're breaking his heart and until this day, he keeps looking for you. He even begged me to tell him where you are!" Aliyah said in an angry tone. Ben started to cry and I was crying non-stop.

"No no.. how can someone like him.. how can someone as kind as him get cancer?!" I was going crazy.

"I swear you're so evil to be hiding here and even hiding that he has a son after for what he did to you?!" Aliyah said and Aliyah knew how good Silas is. I lied to her by telling her that Silas is actually working in here but pretty busy.

"You should go to Dubai, bring Ben with you and face him. Do you really want to wait until he dies? Do you really want to regret it later after he's on his dead bed?" I looked at her in horror as tears kept coming out from my eyes.

"I'll go to Dubai with Ben. The first flight tomorrow morning."